Day or night fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mocat, Nov 27, 2007.

1. mocat

mocat New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish mainly at night and have good luck,but I talk to people that only fish during the day and catch 40-50 pounders. I guess i'm doing something wrong.I'm talking summer fishing. winter day fishing is much easier,any tips

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    You need to be a hearty soul to fish nites this time of the year. I have never tried to fish at nite when it is this cold. I only fish days. During the hot water period I find that nite time is the best time. I have done well during the day in cold weather. But sometimes it is hard to find them. And hard to find bait as well. Keep at it and you will find them.

3. mocat

mocat New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks bob,

I don't brave night fishing this time of year only in the summer,and this is on the mo river.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome to the BOC Gary. Glad to have you on board. During the summer months, I tend to catch quite a bit more fish in the nightime hours, and even have caught quite a few hogs. Ironically enough though, My 3 biggest fish have all come late afternoon in the month of August when its so hot I should be committed for being out there. You can catch 30,40, 50 and bigger fish during day light hours too. Folks on the BOC do it all the time. If I absolutely had to chose when to fish during summer, it would be night time. :wink:

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Cuz gave you a good answer, he usually does! :wink:

I normally fish only at night during the summer, partly because I have been successful and because I stay out of the heat of the day! I'm a big 'ol fat guy and HATE to be out there on the river with the sun beating on me! I tend to get to the river in the evening before the sun does go down to catch my bait, but will fish all night!

This winter however, I'll be fishing during the day!

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Oh come on now. Now is the best time of the year to be out there night fishing. LOL

I do most of my catfishing at night. I've always had much better luck at night when the temp goes down a bit.

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I noticed your state ,florida yea i think i would fish i night too.LOL...

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Ok Swampy, come on up and I will take you on the Missouri one night. You might bring a thermous.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I think that is a grand idea. Bring your long Johns Swampy. Do you Florida guys even know what Long Johns are???????:smile2::wink:

Bob will be glad to take you out at night this time of year. Me....... I'll be fishing during the day.

Wait a minute...... I usually fish during the day all year long?????:roll_eyes:

10. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Gary,
    I mainly fish at night also since it gets up in the 100's during the summer where I live. It's still in the 90's at night but much more bearable. Form what I have been taught, flatheads in specific, move around at night. During the day they stick to tight cover like wood piles etc... You will be able to find a lot of info on this subject in the BOC library. Welcome to BOC.

11. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Of course they know what Long Johns are!!..geesh! They are found at the donut shop!, about 6" long blovarian cream inside covered in chocolate!

Just messsin guys!

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dang Roger, just reading your post made my stomach growl. Man that sounds good right now. :big_smile:

13. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    during the winter i fish the day light hours(11am-3or4pm)
    during the summer I'm more of a early morning person (4am-10am)
    or late afternoon till dark (3pm-10pm) if the bite is good it might be a all nighter:big_smile:

14. mocat

mocat New Member

State:
    missouri
    Dameon,
    thanks for the info,flatheads are easier to catch in the heat of the day,but it's hard to target during tournaments,and catch the weight.Blues seem to run together on the missouri river,but don't get me wrong flatheads are fun to catch

15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Yeah I couldn't help that post. I was wondering if he would noticed what state I live in. LOL

16. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

That's alright I think I'll pass. Sometimes we get what the old timers call mini winters and it will drop down to 15-16 for one or two nights and sometimes I think I'm gonna die before it's over. LOL Been trapped on the interstate one time for a few hours in a freak snow storm and that's more then enough for this ol boy.

17. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I'll take those over the white cotton ones ANY DAY!!

18. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i prefer night time fishing year around ... mainly because thats the only time i can go fishing after the wife gets home to watch the kids in the evening ... i caught my biggest fish in cold weather and the other night i caught a nice 30lber at around 10 id say in misting rain at about 32 degrees.

19. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Welcome Gary...there's much knowledge and help to be had here...enjoy!!!

20. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Welcome to the BOC Gary.. I used to fish all day and most of the night.. Then I got older and sleep deprevation started kicking in... I still like fishing at night, I just have a harder time seeing nowadays.. I caught my biggest fish a 44 lb Flathead at 2 pm in 90 degree weather in open water.. He wasn't supposed to be there but he was...