Day or night fishing on the Ohio River?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by e'villeman, Nov 13, 2007.

1. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    i know in smaller lakes and ponds day and light make a difference because of the light. Thinking the river is cloudier and alot deeper, the question comes to mind does it matter if its day or night when catfishing? it seems like river fishing breaks all the rules learned about catfishing from "bigger baits better" to ya' gotta have alot of wait to hold'er down. figured time of day may also not really matter. Can someone give me more insight on this matter?

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    right now the water is partially clear)see at least 2 to 3 foot down) and there is little current ... i use a 3/4 to one ounce weight .. when the river has more current .. anywhere from 3 to 8 ounce weights will do.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Right now, with the lower nighttime temps I choose day fishing. Although when I have stayed till just after dark the bite seems to turn on just like during the warmer months. Vern

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i like fishin in the daylight and have been cathin good size fish during the day .. in the summer time night fishing is almost mandatory to keep from getting heat stroke around here...

5. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i like to fish both ... doesnt matter to me ...ive always caught fish during both. just hard to get someone to go out at night right now.

6. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Today the blues were on fire from about 10:30 to 12:00 P.M. with the sun shining bright. During that short time, myself and vlparrish caught about 80 pounds of fish, all blues. After the skies clouded up they all by shut off. We ended the day with 103.8 pounds and still lost the tournament...lol But we had a ball. I theink this time of year daytime is the best time to go. rspd507

7. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    coming from a tournament fisherman ive seen 60 plus fish caught in aug.in the middle of the day and 100 degree temps and ive seen the same at nite i dont think it matters to the fish ,you put in his face and hes gonna eat it. i think nite and day depends on the fisherman ,do you want to bee sweatin all day in the heat with a sun burn or do you want to fish the cooler nites just get out there any time you can ,present your bait to the fish . now theres several techniques you can employ but you never know which one will work for you until you try a few ;;;setting up on a hole, achcoring & bounding, and drifting, one of these techniques will catch some fish DAY OR NITE

STEVE

8. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    what about right now steve... whats ur thoughts on the winter fishing?

9. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    again its up to you ,they are gonna bite both day and nite ,but do i want to be daytime cold 45 degrees or nite time cold 30 degrees, me personaly i choose the day

steve

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    meeeeeeee to....

11. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    pansies .... lol j/k ... i just love to fish ... i dont care what kinda weather it is. even if im the only one on the water ... ill soon find and catch fish... so whos up for some ice fishin.?

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im still catching flatheads on the Muskingum river in wintering holes during daylight. they have slowed down lately and were so finicky yesterday to just pick the bait up, loading the tip some and not moving but just a couple feet. you really had to be on top of your poles. i actually took all the rods out of the rod holders on the boat and placed them in front of me side by side. anyone catching flats on the ohio? just wondering if there is a difference in the two rivers...rollo

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    we caught some slats thanksgiving morning and the were light biters also.... some never moved the rod tip...

14. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    hey paul ...whats ur thoughts on winter night fishing ...or do u do any of it

15. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    the fish were definitely biting tonight. they were bustin the shad hard on top in about 4 to10 ft of water ... i caught 3 fish . first one was about 8lbs second right at 30lbs(bigger than the 20 in my avatar) and third about 10lbs. all blues and all about 15 ft off the bank. had one other slam my rod and drop the bait. was using whole shad 5 inhces long.

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    no proof ??? :wink:

17. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    got a pic of the bigun on my phone. but my phone sucks ... cant put pics on the internet with it .. but next time i see u i will show u .. no bluetooth like u other rich people have on ur phones.