DAY OF A LIFETIME!!!!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ksgoosekillr, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    This last weekend we Justin (bbd on here) and I decided to brave the blizzard and prove to some people that we weren’t crazy:tounge_out:… after spending the better part of Saturday digging the boat out of my back yard, scooping a foot of snow off the tarp, and digging a path I could get my truck to we managed to get my boat out and loaded up:eek:oooh:… everyone we told we were going fishing with a foot of snow on the ground laughed at us, hell people we dint know at the gas station sun morning thought we were crazy…some guy pulled up and asked “you all aren’t going to the lake in that are you?”…I’m thinking NO I just hook it up and drive around in the morning?:smile2: Sunday morning bright and early with a morning temp of 21 we hit a snag-all of the hoses were frozen so we had to run buckets of water to the bait tank in my boat… by 8:30 we were off to Milford with a dozen or so 9-12” shad and a ½ dz perch (we had those already in our home tanks plus a bunch we left)… we were on the water by 10am… we were the first boat at the ramp and the last to leave… It was one of those days you watch on in-fisherman, you know the days where nothing goes wrong and your hauling in fish all day long… We were fishing in 14-18 feet of water and the water temps ranged from 44-46… We started off the morning with one small channel, decided after half hour to move and THANK GOD we did… for the next 9 hours we had a fish on every 15 MIN! Justin started off on a roll going up on me 5 to 11 all between 4-7lbs, I was beginning to think the bow of my boat wasn’t the best choice… boy am I glad I didn’t move… in the process of unhookin one of the small ones my center rod doubled over and the drag started screamin… that was the first of my two bigguns… all our fish were weighed on a digital scale and that ones tipped the scales at 32-33lbs… almost 3 hours after that one and ¼ mi away I hooked into his twin brother also tippin the scales at 32-33lbs… all in all we ended up with 33 fish that day, 1 2.1lb white bass, one 4-5lb wiper, 1 small channel, and 30 bluecats, 31 of which ranged from 3-7lbs and two that tipped the scales between 32-33 lbs… We took a picture of every single fish we caught then WE TURNED EVERY SINGLE ONE LOOSE! Except the white and wiper (had to eat something! :smile2:) it was a day we will never forget and one that will spoil us from here on out… my entire boat floor and our bibs were COVERED in catfish slime, and you heard of bass thumb we had cat hands… and we loved every second of it! :cool2:I created a photo bucket for the proof didn’t want to post 3 pics at a time
    http://s725.photobucket.com/albums/ww255/ksgoosekillr/

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats to the both of you on a fine day. Thanks for the story and the pics. Those are some real nice looking blues. Must have been fun. :cool2:

3. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    oh yah i forgot to add that i pulled out a comeback and beat Justin 17 to 16, and boated the two bigguns... i know justin was a little sore on that topic:smile2:... couldnt find a place to edit my first post...

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a dream come true, congrats on the fish!!!

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    WTG Matt. That's the way to show them nay sayers. Snow doesn't accumulate on the water. congrats

6. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Man, sounds like you guys hit paydirt! That is great. What an awesome day.

Were you all the other boat that put in at Wakfield?

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats a great day Matt.
    I bet you didnt get cold at all.:wink::smile2:
    I would have kept a few small blues though. They are some good eatin.
    Reps for releasin all of em.

8. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yep i was the black crew cab chevy with the crappy trailer... we thought about keepin some smaller ones, should have kept the channel, but we were fishin for bigguns... the only way to get em big is to let the smalls ones go...

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    What a day Matt......Milford is coming on strong this year.

Thanks for the CPR on those big fish..

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Thanks for the story! Reps to ya for the release, hope that whitebass and
    wiper tasted good for ya! Yes brothers there be fish in Milford.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Matt, great catch, glad to hear it, specially you let the bigguns go, and the eaters too:smile2:. Sure did make your trip worth while. Like I said some where else on here, I have "perfect weather" 365 days a year, unless the lake is froze. Those "fair weather" fishermen(?) don't know what they're missing out on:wink::smile2::smile2:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Nice Avatar Matt:wink: Jim , might be time to get the Catoon out and chase them pigs. :cool2:

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Matt, Congrats to you on a wonderful day fishing.:smile2: Nice fish thanks for sharing the story and the pics:wink: Reps to you for the cpr:cool2:

14. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Sounds like an awesome day. Thanks for sharing!

15. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    ya them are some nice fish looks like it was a fun day.:wink:

16. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Matt Sounds like you a perfect way to spend the day:roll_eyes:

17. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Matt come on down to Kerr you'll fit right in with the rest of us!!!!!:wink::smile2::tounge_out: Nice catch!!:cool2:

18. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Congrats Matt that was a great day,but I'm not sure about the part of proving your not crazy.:roll_eyes:

19. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    Great day of some good fishing!!!

20. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    What an amazing trip Matt! Thanks for the pictures and story