day/night fishing. does it matter?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by papabear108, Feb 9, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was always taught to fish for cats at night, but a lot of the pictures I see are daytime. And there are some really impressive fish in those pictures. So my question is, does it matter when to fish for cats? Does time of day matter for different seasons? I know I am full of questions.......I have finally found a place where people actually love the same thing as me and are kind and generous with information. Thanks BOC!

2. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess if you are trying for flat head then maybe night would be best. I'm not sure about blue cat. I try to think of it like this...I can't catch anything if I'm not on the water. I fish as much as I can. When the summer temps reach the 100's...I will fish at night, not because of the bite but more for comfort. The weather and time off play more of a role on what time of day or night I fish.

My best fish hit at 4:30 p.m. It was a 42 lb 13 oz. blue.

3. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know around here the channels bite in the day time along with the FEW blues I have caught. I have caught a few flats in the daytime but the most productive for me has been at night for flatheads.What waters are you fishing?

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Brian, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:.
    From now til the end of may or first of June when the blues go on the nest you'll catch more or at least just as many fish in the daytime as you will at night. After they come off the nest through the rest of the summer you will do way better fishing late evening, all night and early morning.

5. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am gonna be concentrating on Jordan Lake NC. My primary targets are channels. I am not even sure if there are blues in Jordan. I have never tangled with a flathead but that would be awesome.

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A lot of what time of day you fish depends on WHERE you fish. Fish are located in different spots during the day then thay are at night. Flatheads for instance are easier to locate at night because they leave the sanctuaries they stick to all day and roam flats and shallower waters looking for food. Blues will often stick to a similar routine, but they don't hang on the same structure during the days that you'll generally find the flatheads around. For a basic rule, cats can be caught during the day, just look deeper with heavier structure, depending on the waters you are fishing.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It'll be mostly daytime fishing for the next few months, but that's mainly b/c of the cold. I actually caught my biggest blue ever at night in the second week in Dec. It wasn't that cold that night so we stayed after dark. I think the water temps are a little too cold now. Once it gets around April though you can start fishing at night again but daytime will be just about as productive. Then after the spawn I almost exclusively fish at night b/c of the heat mainly.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....does it matter when to fish for cats...."

Welcome aboard Brian. :smile2:

Big catfish can be caught day or night.

Fishing at night became a tradition years ago, and even today many old timers feel that is the only time to catch catfish. Experienced catfish anglers will tell that big catfish can be caught anytime, day or night, wamr or cold.

Some people will swear flathead fishing is better at night, but university studies on tagged flatheads show that they move and feed just as much during the day as at night.