Day fishing for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadchris, Apr 13, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    basicly we fish a local large pond,its stocked with large flattys.but we cant fish at night there,will they hit as well as they would at night? should i use the basic bottom line setup with a bream head etc?

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I've had lots of success fishing for flatties in the day. I would recomend using live bait such perch, gold fish, shad, if you are able to get them. From my own personal experience, I found that black perch works really well.

3. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    well i only have access to bream/bluegill.

offside note: have you guys ever tried them berkley gulp nuggets? i cought 34 3lb cats the other day useing that stuff.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Chris, Use whatever you can get/catch. If you are forced to fish in the daytime I suggest you start trying different baits ( Live, cut, on bottom, under a float) Till you hit on a system that works. This isn't rocket science, It's mainly about trial and error. You must try the same approach 5 to 7 times under the same conditions, if all 7 trips fail to produce a flat then you can pretty much exclude that approach from your bag O tricks. Move onto something else. If using a float try one live bait up near the surface, and one suspended near the bottom with a sinker to keep him down there. If bottom fishing put one cut bait in the deepest part of the pond, put the other right next to the deep part on the flat. Flatheads will rest in the deep and feed on the shallows next to the deep.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    try a 6/0 or 7/0 hook loaded with about 2 pounds of big fat fresh night crawlers. flathead love crawlers. especially in clean clear ponds. hit the deepest holes during midday though.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I watched a show recently on day time flatheads. I think that you might even be able to find it on the net. basicly the show stressed the importance of getting as close as possible to structure. the same structures that hold flatties at night are same for the day but you gotta get your bait right in there to entice the fish to bite. I hope this helps.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I wouldn't really waste my time fishing in the middle of the day unless its very overcast and rainy. I would concentrate on as early as you can fish there and as late as you can fish there. Fish are just going to be more active around those times. So basically it boils down to fishing near cover in the morning and evenings.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think Flatheads will bite in the day.

9. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    the fish in my avatar was caught at around 1 in the afternoon and all last year i had bigger and more hits in the afternoon than any other time i have had my 40lb cajun broken a lot of times on the hit in the afternoon the only thing different is that i fish a river with a lot of structure so it may not be the same but someone else said in this thread its trial an error

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    This year, I might give daytime flathead fishing a try. If I do fish in the daytime, it must be cloudy and in the spring or fall. In the summer, it's way too hot for me.

11. bobbabouy

bobbabouy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never really gone after flathead, but that is going to change this year. In my local river, the largest flat I have heard being caught was 38#. I imagine there have been bigger. Anyway, I am reading and trying to learn all I can, then will put my time in on the water and see what happens. And to all who share your knowledge, Thank you!!

12. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Blue gill should work really well. No, I never have tried gulp nuggets, but i will give them a try.

13. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Chris,
    I've been catchin em during the day on live bream and cut bait.I start early catchin my bream then I set up for cats around mid morning or so.I set up current from the holes and log jams and toss in my rigs as easy as possible.Have had pretty decent luck so far.Good luck to ya!:big_smile:

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    All I do is fish for flatties during the day and would say they feed hard from about 11am-2pm. I have always heard people only catching flatties at night but I kill them in the daylight. I only fish at night at santee and that is because it is usually so hot and ther is a million boats in the day. Use very fresh cut bait or live bait is the best. Try to catch your bait from the same pond you are fishing in.

15. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i live in yuma az and have caught flatheads during days in water around here. what i've decided though is that it's the smaller ones during the day hrs. and only on live bait. (including nightcrawlers)
    good luck in your pond there.
    gary