Day 2 - Fishing Vacation

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by deepwoods, Jul 18, 2008.

1. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Yesterday morning I was on my own. My 13 year son elected to sleep in so I did not have my fishing partner. I got down to the dam at 6 and caught about 50 alewives in 3 throws, they were everywhere. This morning I did not mess with the striper fishing, too long of a run in the boat. I went up to Rocky Creek and set a drift, it was kind of difficult. I do not have a trolling motor and there was almost no breeze. No bites until about 8. I caught 5 ( all small) in a period of 15 minutes. I changed from using a whole headless cut up shad to 1 inch body sections. I had a small bream set on my strong rod and to my surprise I caught a 2-3 lb trash fish on it. I moved out to one of the points on the main channel and picked up about a 6 lb flat head. In all a good morning no trophies and no eaters and the best part is I am not at work.

One last thing. I turn 50 this week and my wife asked what I wanted for my birthday. My answer was to go to the lake and fish everyday and not have anyone complain about it. We all have to balance our fun, family and work so this indulgence is my present. It is funny what becomes important as you get older.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jeff it sounds as if your having a good time and thats what it's all about. Also i agree with the age thing, i've changed the ways i think some too.:roll_eyes: Enjoy your vacation

3. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Hey Jeff, Since Rocky Creek is a long haul from either of the two dams I am assuming your catching bait at the steam station skimmer wall. Is that correct?

4. deepwoods

deepwoods New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I think so, it is the dam wall at the 150 bridge. I checked with the DNR and was told you can cast over the wall but do not get up on it. I have seen people get up on the wall to haul their net up. The amount of shad you can get out of there is unbelieveable. I can get all the gizzard shad I want off my dock at night but I like the big alewives.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great B-day present to me! Good luck fishing

6. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Yeah thats the skimmer wall. I get bait there alot. Wheres your dock I need some of those gizzards? :wink: