Day 1 on the Mississippi River, not so good.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by east tide, Oct 23, 2008.

1. east tide

east tide New Member

State:
    MO
    I need more help, please!

I'm not a bottom fisherman so the learning curve yesterday was pretty steep; I can bouce a 5 oz jig all night long on the rocky bottom of the Cape Cod Canal wiht 5 knots of current but this is a totally different story!

I went to Pauls and got some really good bait (herring, shad, and shad guts). I know a good spot to catch some bluegills in the future, but didn't have enough time. The fellow helping me recommended running a bank sinker at the end of the main line with a big ol' treble about 18" up. In my head I was thinking of running a sliding sinker above a swivel, about 2 ft of leader and a big ol' Gammy live bait hook.

After fishing and losing 5 rigs in short order yesterday I think I'm going to have to go back to my plan so that the line will break below the swivel every now and then and I can save the sinker...

I did find a decent hole close to shore but was amazed to find that in most spots my 5 oz was hitting the bottom on a 4 count or so, I'd guess about 10 ft deep?

Here are my questions.
    1) are you bank guys using trebles or singles?
    2) How much weight are you typically using? If I found a backeddy I could get it to sit with 5 oz, if I tried to fish the seam it wouldn't even come close...
    3) WHEN DOES THE FISHING START TO REALLY SLOW DOWN IN THE FALL, or has it already?

Thanks. I don't think I need to tell you I didn't catch anything yesterday.

Davey

2. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    I prefer to to fish with my wieght above the swivel that way only loose the hook. Some of my friends prefer a 3way swivel with the wieght on a short leader and the hook/bait on usually a little longer leader.

I'm always looking for some good bank spots since my buddy sold his boat. 10ft seems a little shallow to me, usually you can find some 20ft holes behind the wing dikes at these water levels.

1. I prefer singles for 2 reasons. (1)less snags (2)less chance of harming the fish when unhooking.
    2. In the Mississippi I usually use 4oz in a slow current and 6 to 8 in a faster current, my rods can't handle much more than that. I know some people that use 12 to 16 though. On the Meramec where I have been fishing lately I use 2 to 4oz.
    3. This is the question I would like to know. I've heard that the bite slows down in the winter but your chances of catching the big ones increases. I've also heard you just need to locate some deep holes and try different baits, which can be difficult without a boat. I don't believe the bite has slowed down yet because the water temperatures are still pretty high. I have had my best luck when the barometer is above 30.

Good Luck and keep at it!

3. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    i have been fishing 15 to 20 feet of water, and only use 1 too 2 oz of weight and that is usually close to bank. i always fish a slip weight above barrel swival. i also prefer gamakatsu 4 or 6 size oct in-line circle hooks on 12 to 18 inch leader. have been doing alright on fresh shad 5 to 20 pound range most weekends in october. nothing too big but i dont think the bite has slowed just yet.

4. Hurricane

Hurricane New Member

State:
    Arnold, Missouri
    You are getting away with 1 or 2 ounce weights on the Mississippi? How do you do it? I was having trouble keeping my bait down with 4 oz.:embarassed:

5. Catfish KID

Catfish KID New Member

State:
    godfrey,illinois
    it seems to be working, i was always told to use as little weight as possible. but i am also pretty new to river fishing. mostly lake fishing. but i only used 1/4 oz weights to 1/2 oz on lakes. i havent caught any monsters but alot of 10 to 20 pound fish. my buddys i go with use the same except right behind the wing dams, they use 4 or 5 oz then. but this is a constant trial and error thing for me. but hopefully thanks to the B.O.C. it wont be so much error. lol