Dawson Lake

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by sscharlie, Jan 26, 2010.

1. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I've been hearing that Dawson is a fairly good channel lake.
    Are there any blue's or flats in there? I wouldn't think there would be enough food source for them.
    Been told to try down around the dam. Is that the deeper parts of the lake?
    Been thinking of going there this spring in the camper. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yup Dawson is a decent channel lake. Not a place that you are going to catch a monster, but solid fish are there. I haven't been there for cats in a while, but when I go, I too like near the dam, sort of near the cove there on the west side of it. If memory serves, there is also still a natural creek channel near the spillway. Its around 20 feet there or so. It gets much shallower near the north end of the lake that can sometimes be good in early spring w\ south winds.

No blues, and I'm pretty certain that there aren't any flats, but i couldn't swear too it. There are walleye and saugeye ,and I actually think its kind of a largemouth sleeper lake, if you are looking for other species.

If boat fishing, its a 10 HP lake, but thankfully you can run no wake w\ a bigger motor!! Nicer than some of the other lakes around here where you have to jack w\ a kicker.

From what I understand, the camping is pretty nice. A guy I work with goes there about every weekend in the summer time, so they must be doing something right! Theres a swimming beach for the fam if you drag them along. The only thing i don't like about the A sites is that they aren't exactly near any deeper water for fishing. its pretty shallow there, and theres a lot of roots and stumps in the water where you can fish it, so snags are abundent. If you do drag a boat with you, there is a seperate ramp and dock for the campground, so thats nice!

I'll dig around and see if i can find my map of the lake and post it up here.

3. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Thanks Scott for the info and welcome to the USCA. You will find a TON of good info here once you find your way around. If I were to guess, looks like you have a nice blue from Powerton in your avatar. Just a guess tho. Start posting all ya can.

4. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey thanks! I've actually been a lurker for a while and registered about 6 months ago. Weird too, cause all my thanks are gone from before! boo!! ;)

so i dug up the map i have for dawon...you can check it out here:
    http://www.scolba.com/Dawson.pdf (744KB)

That's actually a blue from the tail waters of Wheeler Dam in Alabama on the Tennessee river. It will be replaced by a bigger fish from IL as soon as i get one this year! :)

5. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Yea, we just had an upgrade at the biginning of Jan. Ya got to go back into the archives to find really good stuff until it gets reposted again. Thanks for the map.

6. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i worked at dawson for 4 years in the summer 13years ago. there used to be big cats in there but it,s been drained i think 4 times sense then. nothing but channels now tho.