Davis dam

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by jaytee, Oct 16, 2007.

1. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello, planning a trip next month to stay at davis camp in nevada/laughlin and the site/camp is along the colorado and just down river of davis dam. If anyone has advice for specific spots or ideal baits/tackle i would appreciate a reply. Thanks.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Jaytee, Been 10 years that I have camped there..... launch ramp west of camp ground.... Camping was good.... I camped up near the dam, and fished there as well..... did not have any luck to speak about. I did not use any live bait, which might have been better. Get up as far to the dam as you can and thow out. There are some big rocks there and so I'd use a sacraficial sinker set-up knowing that you need the weight to stay in one spot. I think that the other side (Nev.) might be better for fishing, and I'm not sure of the access from there.....was good at one time, and now it may be restricted due to the terriorist thing.....lots of water movement each day as water is released and 3-4 ft of water up and down..... There is some trout fishing, and striper fishing... Not sure of "cattin".... The az side, down from the dam may need a "indian res permit" to fish in addition to the river stamp???

by the way.... if in a boat, be sure to follow others on the river as it is shallow, and folks loose their lower units/props if not paying attention.

Down river on the az side 40 miles (near I-40) is Topock Marsh, and at the very end is "catfish paradise" which has handicapped pier and launching.... very shallow lake, but is a place to "look at" if you have some driving time..... The "north dyke" end of the "marsh" has walk in fishing...as well as the south dyke..... 1/8 mile walk along the dyke to where the water is comming into the marsh area...

hope this will help you with your fishing trip...

bayrunner ray

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Jaytee, I did the "Satellite in the sky" and checked out the Dam area....Looks as though there is a boom that blocks access to the dam area from below..... when I was there, you could take a boat almost to dam, and fish there from a boat...... you may be limited there, and accross the river on the Nev. side....

bayrunner ray