Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20200407_184111.jpg

Took the daughter out fishing yesterday and she landed a biggin!

It wasn't an accident, she is an avid catfisher! She has her own Ugly Stik Catfish combo spooled with 20# Ande Monster mono.

We were fishing for bait and she caught a decent crappie. I asked her if she wanted to keep it to eat or use it for bait; without hesitation, she said she wanted to use it for bait. We cut it up and used the head section.

When the fish bit, it was very subtle almost like a walleye or flathead bite. She fed it some line for a few seconds to allow the fish to get the whole bait in it's mouth if it happened to be a smaller fish. After a few seconds, she reeled down on it and the pole didn't immediately load. She thought she missed it and kept reeling in to check her bait. After a few more cranks, the rod loaded and the fight was on! I couldn't believe the size of the fish when she got it to the bank! Turned out to be her new PB at 11 pounds 4 ounces! That beat her previous PB by almost 3 pounds.

That was the only cat caught, but it was well worth it! And, she let it go back to get bigger!

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
So glad to see the young girls enjoying the sport of fishing, well the outdoors in general. In my youth and in my area it was very rare for a girl to fish or hunt. I am not really sure what my sister was doing while her five brothers were fishing the creek and exploring the woods but she wasn't with us. Congrats to your daughter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome story and awesome fish. She'll definitely have the bug now nothing like lifetime memories.
Oh she was already infected with the bug lol! She caught it last year after catching several 8 plus pounders, hence why I had to get her an actual catfish pole for Christmas lol! It's a ton of fun watching her fight those big channels! She pumps the rod and reels down like a pro. She's definitely something else. Thanks for the comment!
20190531_121343.jpg
20190706_194146.jpg
20200310_145050.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
wow you got some big channels where your fishing that's for sure
That's for sure! I thought at first it was just the walk-in lake near my house. I figured it was probably not heavily fished and allowed the stocked channels to get huge.

After topping out last year with several channels just shy of 14 pounds, I decided to change waters and see if I could keep up the trend. I hit a reservoir near me and caught one just shy of 14 and a 12. Both on big live bluegills.

I hit the same spot a couple weeks later with my wife and lost the biggest channel I have ever hooked at the bank after the 40# leader broke. I wrote about that story in another thread called "trophy channel cats". Check it out, if you liked this thread, I think you'll enjoy reading that one. https://www.catfish1.com/posts/3309822/

Thanks for the comment and tight lines!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts