Daughter's Biggest and First REAL Cat

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by motodragon2003, Jun 24, 2008.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Took my fam out to Glenn Flint Lake for some monday evening fishing. Fully intended on fishing for some small cats and panfish. The evening started slow around 7pm with little to no bites at all.

We switched from minnows and worms to chicken liver around 8:30pm as the sun was starting to head down.

By 9:30 we were growing weary and figured it was gonna be another horrible fishing trip. My daughter, who was drawing in the dirt, got a good hard hit on her pole. I just happened to be looking over at her and yelled for her to hold her pole.

She started to tell me she could feel it nibbling on the bait. She asked when she should yank and I told her "you'll know". Maybe 5 minutes later she got a good hard bite and yanked to set the hook.

She yelled at me "I got it, I got it" I said "good now reel it in". What I didn't do was look over at her and realize the bend that was in the pole. I chalked her fish up to your typical 1-2 lb cat (as I've never caught anything of size from this lake).

Then I heard her grunting a little and I asked if you need help, this time I glanced over and saw the pole....she said no. About 30 seconds later she said....yes...

So I took over...still thinking it wasn't that big of a fish and when I began to reel for her I thought it was a turtle....until that lovely swirl hit the surface of the water....at which point I sent the wife to get the net.

Once landed my daughter was so excited. She told me, Dad I want to cuss so badly right now...to which I said, well I'm glad you have the ability to restrain yourself.

So I told her how proud I was of her and that at her age, I had never caught anything that big.

Then we took it home and released in the pond :)

Attached Files:

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Nice story, the smile says it all !!!!

3. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    She will be hooked on fishing now, way to go Josh!

4. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Congrats good looking fish Great looking girl . Thanks for the pic.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Josh - Great story and pic! :big_smile: Congrats to your daughter on the nice Cat and congrats to you for teaching her to fish! :cool2:

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Way to go!! :big_smile:

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Priceless moment. Thanks for the story...W

8. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    im glad to know that some people arent afraid of doing things with their children and teaching them a skill of a lifetime. way to go man. wish there were more people out there like that.

9. MNeffle

MNeffle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What a thrill for you and your daughter. I am sure you both will remember this for sometime. Congrats

Mike

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats to your daughter for catching a nice fish. Enjoyed her smile. She is a cute girl.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    congrats on the nice fish and thanks for the story.

12. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Congrads to the daughter and you for taking her. I take my family as much as possible. I love for them to have a good time. The smile on that little girls face says it all!! Give her a pat on the back for me and hope many more bigguns' are to come to you and her!!:big_smile:

13. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Yep that's one happy girl!

14. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Priceless... I remember my boys first cat... but i didnt get pics..

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats to your Daughter. Thats a nice first cat!!! Thanks for sharing!:wink::big_smile:

16. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Just look at the smile on her face" :big_smile: "Now that's what it's all about"!!!! :006:

Nice story & thanks for sharing it with all of us.
    :wink:
    :0a31:

17. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    The world needs more men like you, Josh. Bless your commitment to your family. Congrats!

18. hdfatboy29

hdfatboy29 New Member

State:
    indiana
    congrats on the first catch for her i,m glad she enjoyed herself and such a great way to spend time with the family :wink:

19. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a real nice story, thanks for sharing