Data Plates

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by AwShucks, Mar 21, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    MY (hopefull) project boat still has the original data plate on it which lists the weight and motor capacity. The problem is that it is so faded out nothing can be read. I know the boat is a fiberglass Falcon and was manufacturted in Houston, Tx. It measures 16' 6" from bow to stern, and is about 5 to 5 1/2 feet in width. It comes with a factory built livewell/bait tank on the centerline with sufficient space to walk around the tank on each side. Does anyone have any idea how to get the data plate information about the boat so I can figure the seating and motor requirements?

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    awshucks, try taking a digital image of it, and send it to me.

I will see if I can enhance it to where it can be read.

3. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
  4. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a quick calculator for number of people:

On vessels with no capacity plate, use the following rule of thumb to calculate the number of persons (weighing 150 lbs. each, on average) the vessel can safely carry in good weather conditions:
    Number of people =

vessel length (ft.) x vessel width (ft.)

For example, for a vessel 18 feet long by 6 feet wide, the number of persons is 18 times 6 (or 108) divided by 15, which equals seven 150 lbs. persons (or a total person weight of 7 x 150, or 1050 lbs.)

Remember, be conservative!

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wow that's good to know, I just had my insurance person ask me for the maximum horsepower rating, and of course the #'s are to faded to see. This is a very timely post. Thanks Andy You get a rep.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Dave, I printed the uscg manual and will spend the next few days reading and trying to decipher it... you know, I guess I'm a stickler, but when the boat is supposed to have a data plate, the dang thang should have one that can be read. Why in the world didn't they take the time to stamp that information of the plate instead of etch or paint it. This boat is probably an early 70's model... I don't remember business being that money hungry 35 to 40 years ago. Seems like cost cutting has been a more recent endeavor to pinch a few more pennies... oh well, You just have to put up with them while your on earth...later, your either to to the great fish fry or you'll be setting on clouds too tired to fish...

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I believe the CG has a place on their website that actually lists all boats with data plate info that was ever submitted to them.A call to your local CG auxillary will probably get you to the info.Manufacturers are supposed to list their data with the CG I think.Go to the CG website get a contact POC and ask them they will be glad to help as this is a very common problem.:)

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jim, that was a good idea. Went to the USCG home page, clicked on a link and went to a search engine. Typed in the boat's hull number and it took me straight to the manufacturer. Unfortunately, they went out of business in 1996... did find out the boat was manufactured in April of 1974...but that's it...I can use the rule of thumb to figure out the weight capacity, but that still don't tell me the max engine size... don't want more excitement in my life than what I can handle.... Lol.

9. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I wasn't able to get anything from the pictures.

However, since you did get the manufacturer, and the date, and size, maybe I can find it for ya. Let me know

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tony, It is a Falcon boat manufactured by WI HUDSON CO, INC of Port Isabel Texas. Unfortunately they went out of business in 1996. The boat is 16' 6" from bow to stern, and I believe it was 66 inches in beam. It has a livewell built into the centerline of the boat and its about 3 1/2' by 2'. There are two plugs in the livewell like there is in the aft of I believe, all boats. It was built to have stick steering. it was built in April, 1974. That's all I got...help will be appreciated. Thanks...

11. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Good News, Good News.

Willis I Hudson, passed away 2 years ago.

His son, Rex Hudson is now living in Panama

Boat building was passed along to Rex's son Wes, who currently has a company by the name of Shallow Sport Boats in Texas. They have some pretty interesting looking boats.

I placed a premilinary call to the company and they are more than happy to help you out with any information that you may need for your boat, HOWEVER they do not have serial number information. Wes is not in today, but should be tomorrow.

The website is http://www.shallowsportboats.com/body.htm

Hope this helps

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    How did you do that.... its great. If nothing else, maybe a member of the BOC has a similar boat which has a readable data plate. Thanks Tony, I owe you one.

13. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    No problem!!!

Always ready to help a brother out!!

Can't wait to meet ya at Keystone!