darndest thing you have ever seen while river fishing

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catcrazed, Sep 7, 2009.

1. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    What I mean is, what is the darndest thing youve ever seen while river fishing when It comes to the FISH. Wheather it be the behavior, weird looking, etc. For example the neatest and darndest thing my uncle and I have ever got to see was about 2 months ago while drift fishing. We were having a pretty good day, poles moving and droppin pretty consistantly and having fun. My pole drops and fish on. Fishing deep water I was realling the fish in very slowly to let the fish "BURP" himself. Water was very clear and what we got to see we may never get to see again. There was another blue right with mine trying like hell to steel the bait out of my blues mouth. I stopped realing and we watched as the little feller tried and tried to get that bait. Think about that, we were drifting in right at 50 feet of water when "fish on". That lil dude followed the my fish from top of water column all the way to 1 foot. Thats the darndest thing Ive got to see so far.

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    catching a 2 pound flathead on a 1 pound bullhead.

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    but my favorite was watching a group of 10 ducks swimming in about a foot of water on the GMR. Next thing i know we watched roughly a 30 pound flathead wake and eat one of the ducks. I laughed for about 10 minutes:smile2:

4. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    a few months ago i was out fishing with my father in law. a few geese with their chicks were swimmin across the lake. a pike came up and snagged one of the bigger geese but only got its leg. it tried like hell to get away but the pike won the battle. there were feathers everywhere. the fish just left it floating there and never ate it. his eyes must have been bigger than his mouth.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Me with a fish on the hook:smile2:

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    So you're saying I should catch a duck in the cast net and use him for bait? :smile2::smile2:

I'd have to say the weirdest thing happen to me was catching a channel cat on a rooster tail. I've also seen a white bass jump out of the water and miss the water, landing on a big rock surfacing a couple inches from the water. Free bait!

7. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    my 6' 5" 350lbs brother in law run 75 yards, away from a musk rat, it ran this big old boy clean out of the water he was wading in, he didnt look back till he was 35 yards away. i havent seen this boy run like that since high school football, when he came back i told him to stop his sniffling and that he was embarrassing me:smile2::smile2::wink:

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This might be more normal than I think but I caught a baby spoonbill about 6" long in a cast net. The thing looked so much like a lure.

9. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I was sitting along the bank fishing an kept looking under this log at what appeared to look like a snake. Started out about 10 feet from me an by night fall was 4 feet. Turned light towards it an was a copperhead. I went swimming!

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    3 nights ago I am laying in the boat trying to get some sleep when a beaver discovered that I was in his area.... had only been sitting there for 2 hours. 6 times in 2 minutes on 3 sides of the boat, he smacked his tail.... scared all the dang fish away I imagine.

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    me and my dad were bass fishing this weekend and saw a huge watersnake thrashing around so..being curious as we are..we snagged it with a lure and drug it in...it was a lil over 5 foot long and had a 2 lb bullhead in its mouth still alive..lot of snake but not enough for that bullhead

12. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I echo this one. I used a goldfish that was approx 9.5 inches and I caught a 18 inch flattie on it. The Flathead actually had the goldfish inhaled with only the tail sticking out about 1 inch. If I had allowed the fish time to swallow the bait it wouldn't be near as impressive to me, but I set as soon as I saw the hit. The hook never stuck the flat. The bait was simply stuck in it's mouth. :crazy:

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have joked about this all year. Because we have seen it happen more than once this year. High water it gets really interesting.

14. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    There was the time we had 2 boats out anchored close together, 2 people per boat. It was a dark moonless night and we had been out there about 4 hours. Something goes whooooosh between me and the guy in my boat. Then we hear from the other boat "get it off get it off". We turn a light on to see and there is one of the guys with a boat paddle swinging trying to knock a blue heron off the other guy. It had landed on the guys head, his hat came off and the heron slid down his back and was trying to get back up on his head.

15. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    was at the river with a fire burning on the bank. a kid came up and asked if he could use our fire. we told him sure so he wades out and catches a cat and came back in filleted it on the bank and boiled it in a pop can in the fire and ate it!!

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well then....:eek:oooh: thats pretty odd lol

i guess another odd story would be one morning about 4 am i was going to run my trotlines and had 3 snakes fall out of trees on me on the way and a beaver almost jump in the boat with me..never had another snake fall on me yet (knock on wood) but i did catch an 18 lb flatty and 2 12s that morning along with a giant turtle and probably a 30-40 lb carp

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Strangest thing I ever seen was once when my son and I was fishing, just before daylight the channel cats we were catching was jumping just like bass. My son looks at me kinda funny and says , are they suppose to do that?? That was the only time I ever saw it happen. Still can't explain it.

18. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    My brother and I were out fishing on the Missouri river when a large boat came floating by with two women hanging their butts off the side of the boat going to the bathroom...as they passed (within 50 yards of us) we started cheering and claping and the women waived and the two guys on the boat held up their beverages and cheered back at us... Reminded me of the movie Dirty Harry when Clint Eastwood said..sometimes you owe it to yourself to live a little!!!God, I love fishing!

19. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY

Can you say deliverance?

My Dad and I was out this weekend. Dad yelled look there's a beaver! I told him I think it's a log. He said no it's an animal, it's moving!! We got a little closer and noticed it was a fox squirle trying to doggy paddle, ooops I mean squirle paddle cross the river!! Neither one of us had ever seen a squirle swim before. It was pretty neat.

20. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    3 weeks ago I saw a largemouth try to eat a baby duck on the river. Mommy duck went nuts and the fish came back to the service trying to swallow the baby. Mommy laid the whoop on the bass and it spit out the duckling and took off.