Dark Blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by TXBlueHunter, Nov 10, 2005.

1. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    What is the darkest blue everyone has caught? I caught the fish in the attached pics this past weekend. The story is in the Looper Rigs section since it was caught with a Looper Rig.

Anyways at first I thought it was a large channel but after looking past the brown color the anal fin is that of a blue.

Is this just a dark/brown blue cat or maybe a halfbreed?

Anyway it goes it was my largest of the year.

Attached Files:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Looks like a channel cat to me.

3. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    I thought it was to but the anal fin had like 33 or rays. And it had a large overbite.

4. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    just by looking at the tail you can tell its a channel cat .. blues have a more rounded tail while channel cats have a deeper forked tail .. channel cats upper jaw sticks out further than the lower jaw while the blue is typically the other way around

the coloring i'm not 100% on but its either genetic or has something to do with exposure to sunlight

5. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Looks like a nice channel to me.
    Their anatomy will change with different environments. :cool:

6. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    thats a channel cat. there are several ways to tell a channel from a blue. counting the rays on the anal fin is not one i use but the anal fin will tell you every time. on a channel, the anal fin is rounded,as in the photos, on a blue the fin is straight edged almost as if someone cut it with a pair of scissors. also you can tell by looking at the body shape most othe time. a blue will generally have a smaller head and a larger body and a channel will have a slightly larger head and a more slender body. the blue has got a slight hump at the dorsal fin. as far as color goes , most blues are a light blue color although i have seen them almost black. channel cats differ in color depending on gender. the female will be a brown to olive color while the male is blueish gray. people are always claiming to catching" blue cats" in the local lakes around when in actuality, they are just male channels. hope this helped.

7. Schoe

Schoe New Member

State:
    Moline ILL.
    Keith, I would like to welcome you to the BOC, I think you will like it here. You live in a very good area with good access to all kinds of fishing. Schoe

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Blues and Channels will cross, from the pictures and the number of rays on the anal fin this fish could be Channel/Blue hybrid. This cross is becoming popular with pond owners so maybe the city stocked some in this park pond.

9. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    blue cats do get real dark, just look at my avatar, but that forked tail and yellow brown coloration is real characteristic of a channel. what do you usually catch where you caught that 'un?

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Like the rest of the fellas...it looks to me like the fish in the pic is a channel. I have caught many different colored blues. Some dark blue...others almost pale. We catch alot of what people refer to as Mississippi Whites around here. They'll be from a pale white to a grey. I've also heard them referred to as humpers. It was explained to me by a Kansas state biologist that they're all blues...just color variations inside the species. I attached 3 pics of some "Mississippi Whites". The last one is my neighbors fish. All were caught while wade fishing a riffle on the Neosho river here in Kansas.

Attached Files:

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Those blues will really get dark almost black when taken out of rivers or lakes and put into ponds or aquariums. We used to fill my buddy's pond with large blue cats. When you would catch them later there were almost black in color. I figured it was because this was a old pond with a lot of silt in it, not so. I have been to several aquariums now and the blue cats become dark in color also. I don't know if it's diet, temp difference, water movement or whatever they change color with taken out and placed in a pond or small watershed. I have also seen this with spoonbills. They have a light blue skin almost the same as a bluecat. They turn the exact same color when I've seen them in captivity.

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Chris, I have noticed that too when viewing fish in aquariums in places like Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas.

13. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    catfishcentral....I think the color changes might have something to do with water temp. In the warm summer months all my blues are the normal blue color with an occasional black one, but right now(cold water temp), most all of the blues are white almost.

14. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    Here is a pic. of a winter blue and my avatar would be a good summer blue.

Attached Files:

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Channel cat.
    PEte

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Trad_Archer,

The blues I catch on my rivers and lakes are basically the same color whether is winter or summer. I'll catch those real light almost white blues winter and summer but the one's that turn almost black are the one's put into ponds or a aquarium. Here a typical winter bluecat caught when the water temps was in the mid thirty's the same color as in the summer.

Attached Files:

17. trad_archer

trad_archer New Member

State:
    Cook Springs, AL
    I do see a change in color here but a friend of mine today said that the color change is due to the water clarity. His example was redfish caught in clear water like south florida are almost white where as reds caught at gulf shores are dark red. Dont know if this is true or not. This fish was caught in the summer from the same place we always fish but it was nearly jet black. All i know is they are fun to catch no matter there color,lol. Thats a nice fish by the way, catfishcentral.

Attached Files:

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    tx blue hunter,

It looks like a channel cat to me....too. I catch alot of channels that look like the one in your picture, very dark and alot of times the ones (I've Caught) had swollen heads also. I have heard that those are males that just finished spawning.

good luck :)

19. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I agree with catcallers post and what the kansas biologist said. just color variances inside the species. here are two blues caught from the kansas river this fall one is rather dark and the other is definatly blue. these fish were caught a week apart from the same general spot on the riverand the water clarity was like chocolate milk both times.

Attached Files:

20. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Just wish we had blues to catch around here. :crying: