Dardanelle

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kwink, Aug 20, 2008.

1. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well I only caught one blue I think close to 4 pounds this evening about 6:30. I was bank fishing with shad at above the boat ramp below the dam. There wasnt much water going but I did catch at least one.:smile2:

Attached Files:

2. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Thats a start Kyle. You didnt get skunked. Its onward and upward from here.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The ramp in Old Post Park, or the ramp on the Dardanelle side, right below the hwy 7 bridge? There's a little short rock dike just above the ramp below the bridge, and I've caught a few there about the same size as the one you caught.

4. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    well kyle at least you didnt come home empty handed

5. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    It was the boat ramp on the old post road by the park

6. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    It was old post park*

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's been a long while, so I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a spot just a little ways downcurrent from the launching ramp that was pretty good. It was especially good for crappie during high water. I can't remember exactly how far down it was, but it wasn't over 50 or 60 yards, and probably considerably less.

8. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    is that hole down from old post park?

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, it's actually kind of below the parking lot for the ramp. It's just a little ways downstream from the ramp, if it's still there. That's a problem with the Arkansas; always a chance that the spring floods will wash out a good spot. On the other hand, the floods sometimes create spots, too.
    Some other good spots are off the ends of the dikes below the launching ramp in Dardanelle, but you'll have to watch out for nets and trotlines.

10. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    thanks for the advice Jerry

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You're more than welcome. Incidentally, when you're fishing off the ends of the dikes I mentioned, you don't need to make long casts. There's a deep scour hole off the end of each dike that you want to fish. Make one cast about 20-25 yards out, and another about 40-50 yards out. This is a good place to use some live bream as well as cut shad.

12. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Kyle, have you fished at the nuclear plant outlet?

13. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    no Smellycat I haven't got to yet. Is it pretty good there

14. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    later on in the winter, the Nuclear plant will be fair, long as they are pushing some warm water. The very best spot far as I can tell for good cats is out at the mouth in the stumps. Top and I have caught a few in there. Come winter you will need to hook up with me and Topsgtlawrence as Im sure if the skips ar there we will too. Then we can run on out and catch some cats. Im Mac Welcome aboard. Listen to Jerry, he is like an old river pilot, he knows a huge stretch of river.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As with a lot of places, using a depth finder to mark the bottom and structure will help you a lot. When they built the nookie plant, they dredged a 9' channel all the way up that cove to bring in stuff on barges. While they haven't kept it dredged to that depth, it's still there, and there's a really nice stump/stickup row along the right side as you run toward the plant. There's also a nice hole out in front of the two boathouses out toward the mouth of the cove.
    The fish are there year around, but the water gets so hot during warm weather that the fish are so mushy they aren't any good to eat.

16. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    OK, Kyle you got the scoop from Jim and Jerry on the Nuke plant, but the main thing for us is we:wink:

use it for storing up skippies as our bait supply for the whole year.
    As soon as the water gets cold, the skipjack will move into the warm water at the outlet. It`s a blast catching them!
    You can also do very well catching cats there in the winter.

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Another thing about the Nuk1 plant is that there will be tons and I mean tons of Shad in there, That is a big reason the skips are there as they eat the shad, you will catch alot of different fish, stripers, hybrids, wipers, bass, catfish, I was there one winter when Jtrew and His daughter caught I think it was around 18lb blue.

18. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    kyle my best fish there was 27 lbs.this winter and i caught it fishing to the far left of the boat ramp.my boat woulndt start so i spent the nite fishing from the bank.another nite newton,aka cntry boy,and i had 11 from the same spot.all good fish from 3 to 7 lbs.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, to the left of the boat ramp, there's a stumprow coming out from shore alongside the remnants of a little wet weather drainage ditch; it's only a little depression now, but it's still there for the fish. And out from the end of the row, there's a deep hole surrounded by flats. Incidentally, for those that don't know, the ramp is built where the old road went across the cove before the lake was built. If you look carefully, you can still see where it came out on the other side.

20. kwink

kwink New Member

State:
    arkansas
    hey Jerry and poisonpits is that hole the one to the left of the old post park boat ramp