Dardanelle Dam in Arkansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by rushryder, Jun 27, 2006.

1. rushryder

rushryder New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I fish mostly at the Dardanelle dam. I usually do very well when there is current (drift fishing), but when there is no current, I don't do nearly as well. My question is should I anchor down somewhere when there is no current? If so where at? Also if anyone knows a good spot to catfish on lake Dardanelle and don't mind talking about it that would help out to. Thanks

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I always have trouble catching fish on the Arkansas when there's no current. You might try the flooded trees outside the nuclear plant discharge cove where the discharge water causes a current. I don't like to fish up in the cove this time of year because the water's so hot that the fish aren't fit to eat; too mushy.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree pretty much no current = no fish on the Arkansa River. Stick to the lake and you should start finding fish.

4. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I've had some good luck fishing the Arkansas with no current by anchoring at the dam or other deep holes and slip bobber fishing with skipjack or shad guts. I think the blues suspend a lot of times when there is no current. I will experiment with the depth until I start catching them. This is about the best way I know of to fish it when there is no current. Ive caught my limit several times by doing this. Not all the time though, its still way better when there is current.

5. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    One other thing - Ive caught plenty of fish on trotlines in the Ark. river when there was no current. Dont let lack of current keep you from fishing it. Those fish have to eat so if you can figure them at they are still there for the catching.

6. rushryder

rushryder New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for the info fellas. Not quite what I wanted to hear but thats what I was afraid of. Not really sure where to fish at on the lake so I guess I'll keep pressing my luck at the river.

7. fisherdude

fisherdude New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Last fall, I got several nice cats fishing in the inlet to the reactor using bass minnows. This summer, however, I haven't been able to find them anywhere. This weekend, I am going to try to find a spot somewhere in front of the Dardanelle dam and try there.

I have been told that drifting below the dam works well when there is current, but I haven't had the success I expected.

I keep trying. They're out there somewhere!

8. Cause They're Big

Cause They're Big New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    When I was a kid, my dad worked at that Nuke plant. It's been awhile, but whenever we wanted to catch some cats, we had a place that could never miss. Caught shad off the bank and hardly ever got skunked no matter the time of day or year. I can't remember exactly where it was , but it was there around where that warm water flows out of the plant. There's a dirt road (used to be dirt anyway) that leads down to it. We never caught anything huge, but generally caught something. I'm looking forward to hitting the river there real soon. Caught something there last summer that I fought for awhile before it broke my 50 lb. Gorilla line. Good luck.

9. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    We hav`nt fished there since spring and don`t plan to until we get a LOT of rain. No current= no fish. There are too many better places in lakes to go when there is no current.

10. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Oh, I forgot, I work at the hospital here and a female nurse on our 4th floor caught a 52 lb. flathead on Bull Shoals Lake this past weekend!!
    I saw pictures of it and she is gonna email me some pictures and I will post them.
    I am getting directions to the spot as they caught 27 others of many sizes averaging about 12 lbs. each.