Darby Creek Channel Cats- 9/22/07

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by BobEver, Sep 24, 2007.

1. BobEver

BobEver New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    My 13 YO son and I went catting on Saturday on my boat. Hightlights of the day

(1) I hooked into something BIG, had another line out nearby. Gave rod to son to fight fish while I tried to clear the other, no luck tangled up BIG time (powerpro) still managed to net fish after it gave my son a nice fight. Weighed 10.25# on boga-type grip. Wish we had that fish on on tourney day a few weeks ago. As son was holding fish up with boga while I took pic, another boater came by and saw him with fish. Nice to have audience when you get a LARGE

(2) As we were preparing to leave, son was snagged, so we tried to drift up current to free it...in mean time he got wacked and fish unsnagged him. Weighed in at #5 even

(3) As I was trying to unhook a 1-2# fish I somehow managed to get a 2/0 gami circle in my left index finger, while the fish was still on the hook....felt GREAT while he was wiggling....somehow managed to get finger, then fish, unhooked. Lost pair of needle nose overboard in process.

All in all, a good day.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I haven't fished over there in a while. might have to give it a shot before winter.

3. BobEver

BobEver New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I have a 14 foot boat so I cant fish the DE River when its windy. The creek gives me someplace to fish on windy days.

I generally do quite well with channels, both in the Creek and in the River.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Do you ever go upstream into John Heinz?

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    BOB is there a fee to launch from that marina?

6. BobEver

BobEver New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Catcher:

I sometimes fish a spot near the southern end of Heinz.

Ridley ramp fee is $15 Fridays, weekends (and holidays I think), otherwise its $10. You can buy a season ramp permit, got mine last January and it was $100, after January I think it goes up to $150. I have probably launched 15 times so far this year, so I have been getting my moneys worth on the season pass.