Danny Kings and Hoss's Hawg Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by pk_powell, Feb 9, 2008.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As many of you know for the last few years I have come up bone dry when it comes to cat Fishing. I am at a loss as to know why,as use to I would practically always come home with some fryers. As far as catching BRAGGING size fish,well someone better be with me,cause I would be so shocked I don't know what I'd do!!!:crazy::amazed::waaaht::beat_brick:. Anyway I have same as two brand new buckets of the bait;s listed above. Since I seem to have no luck on livers or anything live or dead and bloody I think I will go with these baits.They are advertized to be excellent I want to see if they are excellent with me.Any thought or suggestions to this post would be deeply appreciated. Or if you;d rather PM me that would be: fine also. I'd just love to start catching fish again. I mainly fish the Missouri as it is closest to me,however I bank fish as I don't own a boat. Let me say thank you ahead of time to anyone who would like to reply to this. I take all suggestions and idea's seriously.Sister Pat:big_smile:

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi there Sister Pat. I can't tell you about the bait your using, but I can tell you about Sonny's. I use Sonny's quite abit, I always catch fish with it. They may not be the bigger ones, although I have caught them up to 15 lbs, I have alway s had good luck with Sonny's. Good luck to you. Later Andy

3. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Sister Pat,
    I tried "Nitro Biscuits" in garlic/blood flavor a couple of times. Bait shop guys said they were the ticket when shad were scarce. Couldn't buy a bite. I think the villiage even locked up their idiot, as he didn't even check in. I have had no good results from prefab baits and prefer to stick with live/natural stuff. Aint saying that all brands stink, (pun intended), but maybe I just don't know their secret to making 'em work.
    Bigwhiskers

4. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I'm in the same boat, but would more than willing to head on the River when where on Mo. do you usually fish.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Pat I have a friend that used the Hoss bait before it was changed to its present name. He purchased it by the five gallon bucket. He has caught several channel cats. Some in the 20# bracket.He swears by it. Hope it works for you.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    PK, I have used DK's and Hoss's Hawg and have even mixed the two together:eek:oooh:. Both baits work well and are made similar.Wait until the water surface temp's reach 70 and above for the best results. They recomend a #4 or a #5 trebble hook. If you are after eaters only that is fine but if you want to target bigger fish go up to a 1/0 or 2/0 trebbles. I like the 2/0 trebble the best. The best way we have found to fish it is to use a carolina rig 18 to 24 inches long. Put a 1 to 2 inch peg cork 4 to 6 inches from your hook. One important thing that I do that most that use this bait doesn't is how they bait their hook. First take your punch stick and punch it down into the bait a bunch of times. This will get the hairs and fibers going one way making it easier for the trebble hook to grab ahold of the bait. Now take the punch stick and put it on one of the three hooks on the trebble push it to the bottom of the container and don't pull it out jerk it out in short jerks at a 45 degree angle. On a new hook you may need to repeat this process 4 to 5 times. Your goal on a 2/0 trebble is to end up with a bait ball about the size of a golf ball. The blues will hit this bait like a freight train, some of the bigger channels will also run with it. The blues are easy to catch but you will have to develope a feel for when to set the hook on smaller channels. Most of the time with the channels you will get that pecking kind of bite. When you pick the rod up you will feel one pecking at it but don't jerk what you are waiting to feel is a steady pull. When you feel that steady pull even if it is a slight steady pull that is when they have the hook in their mouth and you can jerk and catch them. Also remember when you are done for the day to smooth the top of the bait back out, this will keep it from drying out. If it gets a little runny add cattails to it and if you use it when it's cold add some vegitable oil to enough of it to soften it up enough to use. Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you further :smile2:.

7. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    DK garlic works well in my area, get yourself a springloaded treble hook(baitholder) and twist the fibers into the spring to form a egg or teardrop like appearance, check every 20 mins in moderate current.

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    do you think punch bait will work on a looper rig? i dont usually use trebles because of gut and throat hooking, so i was wondering if punch bait would stick to a looper rig as well as it does to treble hooks.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Big Sis,
    Sorry I can't help you out with your question as the only dip/stink bait i've used is Magic Bait Hog Wild. Did ok, got a lot of bites but no takers on it.
    Best of Luck this year!!!:wink::big_smile:
    Lil Brother John

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Sarge,
    Thats what the Looper rigs are made for. I've used Hog Wild on my Looper Rigs and it held great and stayed on for a long time! Try it, you won't be sorry!!!:wink::cool2::big_smile:

11. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Pat, I wish you were closer to Ark City,ks I'd drop a qt of remanufactured bait on you and a few dip worms that i make. Just so you'd know how good a dip/stink bait can be. I ground up 5 gallons of fresh shad yesterday 2-8-08 and mixed it with 2(two) 5gallon buckets of bait . I now have about 15 gallon of bait just settin there getting ready for warmer weather. Sara and I don't fish for big fish -we just fish. I'd lots rather catch 4 3 lb'er than one 20 lb'er. Dip bait will catch big fish but mostly you'll catch eatin size. 2 weeks ago we got 18 in the 2 to 4lb range I cleaned 4 and threw back the rest. I quit making my worms with treble hooks for our use so I can get the fish off easier. sure, we miss one once in a while but so what. the fun is watchin Sara fish. HUGS!!

12. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Here Pat Thought I'd show you what addin shad to bait looks like.Kinda nasty. but it makes that bait smell wonderful---to a catfish.

Attached Files:

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well i dont know about the hoss bait but ive never even had a nibble on DK,ive tried it for two years on different bodies of water...nothing.

14. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have had the same luck with DK as you have. I've tried it on and off for about 3 yrs.and nothing yet! On the other hand I have caught several fish on Hoss's Hawg Bait. The only problem I have with Hoss's Hawg Bait is if you're fishing in current,it doesn't stay on the worm very long. So,I guess what I'm trying to say,is if it were me I'd go with the Hoss's Hawg Bait,but like I said if you are fishing in any kind of current at all you will have a difficult time keeping it on your worm or tube.