Danny king punch bait

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by gonzo1, Dec 4, 2007.

1. gonzo1

gonzo1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I found dk's at academy for three buck and some change.....I also ordered
    some and they where diffrent in smell. My question is how to use it?
    I currently am using trout lead to keep the weight in the bottom and the #4
    treble hook on top w/ a float between. Is that the wright way to use it?

Thanks

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Frank,
    The smell will change with age. I fish it several different ways. If using a cork, I'll first add a bobber stop, 2 or 3 inch slip cork, 1/4 oz. egg sinker, swivel, 8" leader and a treble hook from sizes #8 to #2 with #4's and #6's being most common. If bottom fishing or fishing straight down under the boat I'll use a simple Carolina Rig with a 3/4 oz. egg sinker, swivel, 8" to 12" leader and finish it off with a treble hook of the same sizes mentioned above. The key is to be quick on the hookset. Keep most of the slack out of your line using the slip cork and set the hook as soon as it goes under. When bottom fishing or dropping straight down, set the hook as soon as you feel any kind of bite. It might be a really hard hit, a slight tap (like a crappie), a heavy feeling or sometimes a weightless feeling if the fish is coming up with the bait. Check out my post on the Lake Lewisville report. 90% of these fish were caught on Danny King's punch bait.

Cliff Hill can chime in here as well. He's the shallow water, slip cork fishing expert. He's been known to go through a few gallons of Danny King's as well. Hope this helps you out a bit.

-Bobby

3. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    I love DK's punch bait. I just take a tougne depressor with a notch in it to poke the # 6 or 4 treble hook into the bait. Push it down and pull out. The fibers in the bait will catch on to the hook and it really stays on good. It works amazing.I bought all 3 flavors because some days they bite better on different one. My first time I used it I caught a 3# channel in just 5 minutes. I know that there are probably better ways to use it but this is how I use it. It is the best bait out there that works great. Also great to have you here at the BOC. This is a excelent site to find out every thing you need to know about fishing. Hope this helps some.:0a26::006:

4. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Bobby pretty much summed it up! Like he said, key is the slack and paying attention to the bites. I've been known to have to switch to a teeny #8 treble before when slip cork fishing becasue the fish swim around with the bait for awhile and never really commit.
    It will take a little trial and error but play with it till you find your confidence teechnique.
    Use the tips bobby gave ya and you'll catch your fill.
    Don't get discouraged and keep at it.
    I might make a suggestion...one rod. That's all I ever fish or my cleints. If you are paying attention to your bait truly... you can only really fish one rod with it in your hand. If you bait out and put it in the holder, chances are your missing fish. Just my 2cents
    Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
    CLiff

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    take some soured maise with u and chum the area ur gonna fish 30mins to an hr before u fish there and u will do much better. when i am after eating fish is when i use a punch bait, i also use jugs then.
    I chum, run to put out jugs, then come back and fish.
    When time to check jugs i chum another area, check and bait jugs, come back to fish!

6. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I know it's not in detail but here's a little video from this weekend. You can see the basic rig I use to fish with most of the time.

(and yes I just grab Danny Kings with my hands (not reccomended) it's ineveitable for me, iget it all over me by the end of most trips, so I just beat it to the punch)LOL
    Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8bmOtpX184

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    good video there bud!!!

8. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    I'll have to teach Cliff how to keep his fingers out of the punch bait this weekend. I use a garden weeding tool with angled chisel cut end. Grabs the treble hook with ease. It's strong as steel and won't break or splinter like sticks or paint stirs.

9. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a pair of old needles nose pliers to put it on. Rig wise, for channels, I will put a bullet weight on above a treble hook. That is it. If I throw it out this will allow the bait to stay a little of the bottom. however, I fish vertical like this and catch a ton of fish as well. It is cheap and Quick. I use the blood DK. It looks like cotton candy. However, I tasted it and it IS NOT cotton candy.

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i use an old flat scredriver notched, it works pretty good!!!

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You can make a punch stick out of about anything. Just cut a v-notch in it to grab the trebble hook. You can buy a punch stick made out of heavy guage aluminum that works great for about $3.
    My favorite way to rig is with a carolina rig 18 to 24 inches long and peg a small cigar float about 5 inches from the hook. I usually don't fool with the smaller #4 or #5 trebbles and use #2 up to 2/0 sizes. depending on the size fish that i'm targeting. The one misconception about this bait is that it only catches small fish but it catches big fish as well. In my opinion it is the best prepaired bait on the market today.

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    hillcountry don't feel bad about "touching" the bait....johnny likes his with ritz crackers:eek:oooh::smile2:

13. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    The garlic one would make one really bad practical joke at the company party/dinner. Just put it in a fancy looking bowl surrounded by a bunch of crackers.

14. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Sounds like a tasty treat to me.:eek:oooh:

15. gonzo1

gonzo1 New Member

State:
    texas
    That was awsome, I started looking around the u tubr and had no clue of what I could find there. I got to see manuel z talk about chumming. Do you ever do that?

16. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i carolina rig it. egg sinker above the treble about 10 inches. instead of using the recommended #4 treble, i use a smaller #6. less bait is used.

17. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive caught some big fish on #8 it seems to be easier to get loose and bobby sometime it is hard to get the bigger fish to commit. I buy my in the big tub walmart sells it and sometimes it is old and will be darker and smell a little diffrent but i have had the same success no matter as long as it says Danny King's Punch Bait. Good luck chumming never hurt anyone.

18. crawford1

crawford1 Member

State:
    west virginia
    Good info thanks guys

19. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Cliff, thanks for the video. Just received my case of DK blood today, ordered it on the 21st, quick delivery.
    I've tried the orginal and garlic, it just doestn't work on my lake.
    I poke my hook down in it with a stick too, got tired of holes in the end of my finger, but when I drag it out, I do pack it on the hook with my fingers like Cliff does. Gives the Cheese/peanut butter crackers a little more "Tang".