Danny King Punch Bait Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by Bacardipr05, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I just bought this bait. I thought this would stick to the treble but it wont stay on had to use a spring hook. I am currently using a #4 Mustad treble bronze hook. Is there something wrong that I am doing. I put in the fridge so it can "harden" up a bit but this didnt help either. Any input would be appreciated.

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Add a little dirt or cornmeal to it . That should give it a little more body.:0a23:

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    You have found the problem... cheese is cheese even in catfish bait. When it gets hot, it thins out.

The solution is simple... find some cattail stands, break off one or two cattails and stir the fuzz from them into the bait until it is thick enough to fish with. If it's still not right, stir in some more cattail.

Now, when the weather cools off this fall, the bait will be cool and much thicker. To thin it out enough to fish with, add a little canned milk and allow it to stand overnight in a warm place before stirring.

Hold the leader in one hand and lay the hook on the surface of the bait. Use a paint-stirring stick (from the hardware store) to push the hook straight down into the bait. Then, pull the leader and the hook out at an angle. The hook will load up with enough bait for the cast.

Personally, I have learned to use a 1/0 or 2/0 treble hook with DK's. Sure, some will sling off with the cast and land in the water... but that bait serves to turn the dinner bell on for the catfish. Even a 1 pound catfish can get that hook in it's mouth... and by virtue of the larger ball of bait, larger fish will show up to eat it. Hold on tight! I've caught fish up to 20 pounds with this rig!

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the input guys. I didnt realize this was a cheese based bait at first. Once I opened the jar and before I almost passed out from the smell. I placed in the fridge two hours before I went fishing to harden it up. But this still didnt help much. As I live in a major city I have no idea where to find cattails any ideas philly catcher. I was thinking maybe flour or cornmeal. Or maybe mixing it with white bread before hand.

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I have never used that brand of bait,but in the past when my prepaired baits were too soft I mixed in a little dirt. It worked well for me.:0a26::0a22:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you don't have access to cattails try useing some shredded cotton. Tare in small pieces and stir into bait. This will help.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I was just thinking the same Mickey or with shredded tissue. Maybe I will try some the other ideas also. Its too thick to use a dip worm with it.

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I have the same jar of DK for two years; finally used it yesterday. When I opened jar, it looked dry. I had no trouble geting bait on the hook. I shook jar had a bunch of crumbs(best I can describe) Should I add oil to the jar of DK?

Jaime

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've used DK's with Looper rigs and it stays on great. I've used cattails and cotton in the past with good results.

10. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I

I usually add a small amount of vegetable oil if it is too thick.

11. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Punch bait like Danny Kings is easier to use in larger containers. IMO the best is a 2 1/2 gal bucket. The size of a five gal only shorter. I use a good lid and drill a 1/16 hole below the sealing lip to vent. I use a tool from the garden dept at Wal Mart It looks like a large screw driver with a v notch in the blade. I use mostly #6 treble hooks. Hook one leg on the tool and push it to the bottom of the bucket and pull it out at an angle. I keep the bucket about half full of bait and leave the tool in the bucket when I close it. You can substitute other things for the cattail but that is really the best. Keep your eyes open when you are fishing or going back in forth. I get my cattails in road ditches where it is not as wet and easier to get to. Cattails are heading out right now here in Texas. Dry them in paper bags they will mold in plastic sacks.

12. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    i put a small amount of the bait in a small piece of cheesecloth. use the corners of the cheesecloth to tie it (it doesnt have to be tied very well at all) & stick it on the treble. works great.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I thought the same Bigun when i was playing around with the bait. I wanted to try and see if it worked before i committed to ordering that amount. I will keep an eye out for cattails the few that I have saw where not easily accessible to me. Living in the fifth largest city in the country you dont see many plants. I also have some looper rigs but thought it was too thick for it too adhere to it. I was sitting there trying to roll it into a ball onto the treble. You guys should of saw the other fisherman noses. I must of heard whats that smell about 3 or 4 times. :big_smile:

14. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Hey Bacardi I have some baits in my stash that will make your nose curl up.:nosebleed::0a23:

15. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    You can also use dryer lint to give the bait more texture.

16. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Why go to that much trouble trying to use a stink bait when you can use live bait,cut bait or livers? They are less of a mess and don't smell no where near as bad.

I tried two different brands of that stuff in a area after catching fish with cut bait. As soon as it was in the water ALL action STOPPED and the fish didn't start hitting again for a while after we reeled that stuff in. After the fish started hitting cut bait again we tried it again and the action stopped. Over the years I've tried lots of packaged baits and never had any luck in any of the waters I fish,not the 1st hit. I've only seen one fish landed with those type baits and it was on hog wild,my friend landed a 3#er one night. It really shocks me to see how many ppl think catfish like baits that stink,when infact it's just the opp. Cut bait & livers work the best before they get old and smelly,I keep livers cold while fishing & keep the fish alive I use for cutbait until it's time to put it on the hook. There less mess don't stink up the area they are cheaper and catch more fish. Buy a cast net and/or use cold livers you will be better off & catch more fish,JMO.

17. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan

18. PhillyCatcatcher4

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Some times you can have a higher catch ratio when using stink bait (Iknow I do)so sometimes it is worth the exrta effort.The Magic Bait Hog Wild Balls smell the worst of any stink bait that I've used.:nosebleed::0a23:

19. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Bacardipro... after using DK's for several years, DK's takes on an aquired aroma that makes me think about spreading it on crackers for a snack.

I often offer it as a snack to fishermen on my boat... few take it, and none to date have eaten it.
    :eek:oooh:

If you really want to make your spouse want to snuggle up close, dab a little behind each ear (if you can get her to hold still long enough) :roll_eyes:

20. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL
    I usually tote around an ice cooler with me so when I head out I stick some assorted punch, dough baits on top of the ice. By the time I get to the location the baits are usually stiff. My method is take a index finger hunk out flatten it out, wrap it around the spring and give the bait a few twists to embedd the fibers on the spring and then form into a pear shape. When casting a simple flip of the wrist, and not like I'm trying to knock out the fisherman on the opposite bank. :beat_brick: