Dangers of catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kat in the hat, Oct 29, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Short of death, what's the worst injuries you, or someone you know has sustained while catfishing? For example... I was dumb enough to grab a catfish which was hiding in a rusty waterheater. Injuries included multiple moderate to severe lacerations to my wrist, removal of large portions of skin, and bruised swollen fingers. I know someone who got stabbed all the way through the meaty part of the hand by a catfish. Also saw a friend get hooked by a trotline and almost got pulled from the boat. He was screaming bloody murder " I'm hooked!! I'm hooked!!" Then he had to do the whole push the hook the rest of the way through, and snip off the barb. First time I actually whitnessed this procedure. We laughed forever. Still laughing actually.

2. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    bit by a turtle while noodling luckily I realized it was a turtle soon enough that I pulled my finger out of it's mouth:lol:

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Most painful steped on a channel cat barefooted:0a30:

4. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    hooked by trotline threw thumb hook stopped when it hit bone couple broke ribs from jumping carp channel fin went in one side of hand came out other stepped on hook in sandels had to remove as you mentioned but the best was when me a buddy and my broke foot having brother were fishing me and my buddy went to get fire wood found old rotten tree grabbed ahold pulled twice it came down hit me in the head and knocked me out cold for about ten mins. and a few other things that i can not think of at the moment if i don't lose some blood on a fishing trip it will not be a normal trip

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the most dangerous parts iv seen are the multitude of pleasure boaters and the barge traffic here on the ohio river , to be honest id rather face the barges as opposed to the weekend warriors and drunken fools who are inexperienced in boat usage

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i got a channel cats fin right through my fun man did that hurt lol.

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i aree. my boat and i almost joined the crayfish on the riverbottom this summer due to some jerks horseplaying way too close to me in a huge ski boat. i caught up with them shortly thereafter and if it wasnt for 3 kids being on board their boat i would surely be in jail now. oh yeah, threw a dink channel into a 5 gallon bucket once and it waited for me to sit on the bucket before it decided to seek revenge.......got a fin spine buried deep in my butt!

8. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Just curious...where exactly is your "fun" located? I know where mine is and I hope that's not what your talking about.

9. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Speaking of pleasure boaters, it always freeks me out to see skiers up in the river channels up at the lake. I can picture one of them falling down and getting wrapped up in someone's trotline. Great stories so far. I feel your pain superman. Not made of steel afterall?

10. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    the worst I have had happen is hen I was anchored in the channel in the missouri river and a tree came up my anchor rope before I could cut loose, it took my small v bottom under real quick, it was a wet day in late january. you won't catch me in a small boat again.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City

Making Mental note: Don't fish with Bruce, it's dangerous JK LOL

12. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    the most dangerous was when i was fishing in my dads OLD flatbottom, BIG boat came by, put us right up on the bank boat and all, talk about a fun ride. I also have had hooks get stuck in me. I also found out that raccoons do not like getting out of boats unless they do it themselves. Four raccoons crawled into the boat, then when i grabbed one to get it out he scratched and clawed and bit. (no rabies) that raccoon found out fast that the Missouri River current is fast.

13. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Well this happened to a friend while we were fishing together.

Earlier in the afternoon we set some limb lines. I asked how come we never use treble hooks. He replied donno. So we set ONE with a Laser Sharp treble hook. A couple of hours later we checked the lines. The one with the treble hook had to be rebaited. I eased the boat up to the line and he grabbed it to rebait. The current was kinda strong so he held the line tight to try to stop the boat from moving. The line got tighter and tighter and the boat would not stop. Finally I yelled "just let the line go". He did and the treble hook caught the spot light cord, pulled it loose from the battery then somehow caught him in the palm of the hand. (The boat was still drifting) He got to the front of the boat, hook still in hand, and I couldnt get the boat started to slacken the line. Finally he had no choice but to jump. (This was in Feb. BTW) He was just hanging there half way in the water with his hand still hooked to the line. Finally I got the boat started and eased back toward him but I really didnt know exactly where he was at. Remember the spot light was disconnected. After almost running him over with the boat we got him back in ,cut the line and headed for the shore. The hook was buried and we had nothing to cut it with. Luckily there was another boater at the landing. He had a pair of cutters and was gracious enough to cut the hook for him. This guy was so drunk. The hook didnt cut right away, so as he was trying to cut it he twisted it. Finally we ended up in the ER to get the hook out. Came back to the river and enjoyed a good day of fishing.

14. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    The only danger I've encountered night fishing for cats is my wifes casting. If it wasnt bad enough during the day, imaging not seeing it coming in the dark! Lets just say Im glad Lake Nockamixon has a big shore line!! lol, we all have our flaws & casting is one of hers.

15. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    hahaha i mean my thumb i dont know where the heck fum came from hahaha but im cracking up.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sneaking onto a farm pond at 1 am is always dangerous almost as dangerous as sneaking back into the house and waking up your dad, my behind still hurts from that strapping. He wasn't as mad when he found out what I had been doing but I still got in trouble.

17. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    My buddy "SMOKE" got hung up on a rock with about an ounce of wieght on his line. He pulled back to get it loose and the sinkers flew out of the water and hit him square in the bean bag!!!

18. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    As a kid, about 10 years old, I went to cast with a little too much line hanging from the rod and ended up snagging my earlobe during the cast. Man that hurt! My older bro ended up having to push the hook through. Needless to say, there was alot of blood involved.

Positive side - I got a free ear piercing out of it!

Oh yeah, on another trip, I came home and discovered a tick on my @ick. That sucker had planted right in the head, and of all the ticks I've ever pulled off of me, that was the one where I broke the body off and the head was still lodged. A painful tweezer pull later, I was home free!

19. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    my cousin was fishing and he had the pole in his hand and the fish took the pole out of his hands and he dove after and hit his head on a submerged tree trunk....owwweee

20. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    before i figured out that slinging a catfish back in the water was a bad idea, i sliced my hand pretty good when throwin a small channel cat back. those side fins are sharp as a knife.