Dangerous Waters!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by 66TBONE, Sep 14, 2008.

1. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well i put out of osbourne on Friday evening about 6pm. Headed toward Hopewell. Just pass jones cut there is a pumping station and then the big power lines. As i approached the area i was in the middle of the channel. I saw something sticking out the water. It was the broke off base of a tree sticking up about 1 foot out of the water and it was almost low tide.I passed with care and proceeded toward Hopewell. I returned to the area heading back toward Dutch Gap about almost sunset. I looked for the tree to be floated down to atleast Presquille by then, but come to find out the tree was still in the same spot! I wonder how a tree can get there and be hung up in the channel that is 30+ feet of water! And then i was thinking of how many people might have passed by with a higher tide and just missed this very dangerous obstruction? This tree i never saw before in my many travels through this area! Did anyone else go by that way this weekend? Did ya see the tree? What does anyone think of this kinda of "new water danger" that is or was there Friday?:eek:oooh:

2. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thanks for the heads up! I hit a small log Sat. on my way up river, thank goodness my boat is slow.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Whoa. Thanks for the heads up. When it's dark out, I stand up and drive my boat, and take it a little slower....because of those very obstructions you just mentioned. Not comfortable enough to just zoom along blindly down the river pitch dark like I see alot of other people do.

And oh yeah, if you got a big tree like that stuck in the same spot in a high current area, you better fish it!

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    With all the barge and ship traffic on the river, I'm surprised that tree hasn't gotten knocked out of the way.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It would be good if you could place a marker flag on that tree/log that could be seen at high tide. You might save someone a lot of problems.

6. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Yea I try and be real careful when runing in the dark . I cut my speed in half and usually have someone on the bow with a 2 mil candle watching the water. Ya never know when that big log will be hiding just under the surface

7. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Good idea Mickey! I will be goin back this week and i will check that spot again and carry some rope and a painted flouresent jug. I didn't think of that at the time.:roll_eyes:

8. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    thanks for the heads up, and thanks for being someone who is concerned for the safety of others as well. We usually put in at Dutch Gap, but when we do put in at Osborne, we head that way too.

9. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well it looks like a possible sat. trip out of osbourne. Gonna head back down toward Hopewell and check that "tree" out. Curious if anyone else has seen it. Hope nobody found it the hard way! Takin some rope and a flourecent painted jug. Will mark it if i see it again! Got a feeling it has been knocked away by the big ships and,or barges. Will post an update later in the weekend! Good luck to all! See ya on the water! :big_smile:

10. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well folks, I have been back to check out the tree twice this week and did not see it either time. I wonder if the barge or big ships had this removed. It is possible it broke free on it's own and is now sitting on the bottom of the river somewhere. Anyway i just hope nobody hit it! Good luck to all on the water and most of all be safe!:cool2: