Dang yellowjackets!!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jlingle, Jul 9, 2006.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Well if this don't beat all! I went to help a buddy run his bankpoles and a trotline in the river this morning, and on our way down to the water I got in a nest of yellowjackets. One got me on the ankle GOOD, and another one got me on the inside of my left bicep.

I'm supposed to go catfishing tonight with another friend and my darn foot is swollen up so bad that I can hardly get my shoe on. Curses! I know I'm not allergic to wasp stings, so I don't know what the heck my problem is. All I know is my foot is throbbing like a son of a gun, and I need it to be well in about 4 hours.

Anybody know how to get the swelling to go down?

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    OUCH

I bet that hurts.
    I don't have any home remedies for that one brother.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oh my gosh, that's hysterical. I was honestly laughing out loud when I read that one. That's funny, John!!!!!

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I know the feeling. They've got me 4 times this year. Soak the foot and put ice on it and you'll be good to go tonight.

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I HATE getting stung by a yellowjacket. Really some of the most painful stings I've ever gotten, except for a Japanese Hornet, that was worse. Put an ice pack on your foot, Jerrod. But it's just gonna take a while for that swelling to go down no matter what you do. :eek:oooh:

6. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    soak it with some epsom salts for a while then ice that foot down. you can also mix a paste from baking soda and water and put that on the sting site it does help to reduce the swelling as for the pain well it will go in time.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I bet you did strut. Try getting poison ivy. I've been there several times. Whooooooweee!!! You'd be struttin' around like a banty rooster then!

BTW, I've got ice on my foot as we speak. Hopefully it'll go down. Thanks everybody.

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    try putting some vinegar on the stings... it has helped in the past to take a little of the sting away... not sure of all the details on it, grandma used to do it when I got into that kind of trouble...

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i always heard that putting baking soda on helps the pain, but i think it needs to done soon after the bite. the epsom saltwater soak is good advice too.

10. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I always carry a small packet of ketchup with me to put on a sting .something to do with the viniger helps with the poison

11. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I keep several little swabs of sting-eze in my first aid kit. Pick it up at Walmart. It will help.

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Jerrod, you going to make it out tonight? LOL how is it coming along?

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Man I hate bees, and those little yellow jackets are among the worst to get stung by! I like to use ice and asprin.
    A shot of Jack might help a little too! LOL

14. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Next time before you go out, knowing your gonna be going through some brushy area's, pin a couple of Bounce dryer sheets to your clothing.

Wasps and yellow jackets can't stand the smell of them, and will leave you alone.. I know it sounds crazy, but it works... I would much rather look a little funny wearing some dryer sheets, than to get ate up by bees..

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

ouch brother that had to hurt

16. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Brother have you taken any benedryl yet? It will help some but might make you sleepy. I went to the doctor for a spider bite and he made a paste out of meat tenderizer and put on it and then wrapped it in a bandage. The man went to med school for 6 years and he treated me with meat tenderizer. I guess it worked though my arm didn't rot off?

ST

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jerrod,

Man I feel for you. Last year 4 yellow jackets got me when I mowed over their hole. More would have had I not run. A little yellow jacket stings a lot worse than the large red wasp.

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I hate bees, yellow jackes, hornets, wasps, mosquitos...anything that can fly and bite/sting me. I hate em.

Hope the swelling goes down fast brother.

19. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    You know, when I was standing in the river this evening fishing, my foot didn't hurt at all.:big_smile: Well, maybe I just forgot about it hurting. I ended up catching one small bluecat, about 3lbs. Had a heckuva time though. Ended up fishing by myself, my buddy is a cop and he got called in to work tonight. Fished a new stretch of the north fork river that I'd never fished before. It was a good time, and when the river is up I'm gonna know where a couple of really nice holes are.:cool2:

Next time, I think I'll try to fix a wasp sting right when it happens, instead of waiting 4 or 5 hours to get to it. Maybe my foot wouldn't look like a football stuffed in panty hose. Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. Wasps, mosquitos, poison ivy, stickers, wonder why God made those things anyway???

20. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I always carry Adolfs meat tenderizer in my tackle bag. It breaks down the protiens in the venom of bites and stings when applied applied quickly it sure helps. then take benedryl for the swelling. good luck.