Dang Moles!

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by copycat, May 26, 2007.

1. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Let me say that I have a severe mole problem in the back yard, the little buggers are tearing up my yard so bad that some of the plants we have back there are falling over from mole tunnels being dug all around them. I put down the Ortho Grub-X, but what else is effective for getting rid of these little devils once and for all! Thanks for help!!

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
  3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I wonder if any of that will help with rats and mice. I'm afraid to put out poison or traps as the 3 dogs are always in the back yard. I can put something in the building and block off the door. They are getting huge by eating the dogs food. I wanna sit in the spare bedroom window and pick them off one by one with a pellet/BB gun but don't have one...Any Ideas?

4. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tom,

Believe it or not, attached is a photo of our main line of defense against moles. They drop in their tracks in terror when they see this comin their way.

John,

We got some stuff at the local co-op, a poison that's all sealed in little paper pouches, which the rodents will chew through. Still have to keep it out of reach of your pets, but it does seem to be effective. Had mice in the laundry room and our back porch room here last winter, so I put some of this stuff under the washer and behind the freezer, etc... and no more mice! I liked the idea that you don't have to handle the stuff. Tried traps, but the little vermin was too clever!

Good luck :smile2:

Attached Files:

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I used to raise Bull terriers.I had one who was a helluva mole hunter the only thing was he tore the heck out of the yard when he saw those tunnels moving.I have used the spike trap before and did have some success but these traps are dangerous if you have kids or even dogs who might mess with them being curious.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Get one of those big foam hammers and play Whack-a-mole! -LOL
    I apologize- I just couldn't resist! :tounge_out:

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Get one?!:wink:

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hope, send me one of thoses dogs....QUICK!! My cat is worthless:big_smile:

9. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I've been meaning to answer this thread and life keeps happening, and I apologize for being so late.......................

The answer in TN is something referred to as a 'mole' tree. It is an annual that will replant itself, from seeds that look like ticks.................I've had them from 2 ft. to 9 ft. tall. I utilize them as shade for my pansies, and other flowers that can't take the heat of the heart of the summer. I don't know the zones they will survive in, but would think they would grow in almost any summer condition, because they can be invasive if you don't control the seeds and keep them from dropping to the ground. I learned to just cut the blooms off and or seeds when it got to that point.

If you can, look for mole plant/trees on the net. I have some seeds, I would be glad to share with anyone, that would like some. Just give me time to clean out my PM box, so you can PM me your address.

Take care.
    Cheryl

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have reached an equalibrium position with moles.I used to sit in my upstairs windows and shoot at the moving tunnels with my 300 Weatherby.Very satisfactory eruption of earth and mole parts when a hit occured.Spectacular.Of course made the neighbors a little nervous, not from the KABOOM of the 300 but they felt those fountains of dirt tinged with mole guts and blood weren't politically correct and might be tainting their childrens minds.:big_smile::lol:SOOOOOO I tried the grub thing and admit they are much harder to hit HAHAHAHAHA just kidding.Finally I took a naturalist position and actually examined what was happening.I came to see the moles as tiny little aereators of the soil and noticed wherever they went my centepede grass spread also.Since I have a septic system also, I feel they are doing their part in keeping the leaching field open.They didnt kill the grass ,were eating grubs(which saved me tons on ammo) aereating the soil for free so I kind of felt live and let live.Worked out pretty good so far but I found a plan for a large canon and picture of my house with a cross hair on it ,in a collapsed tunnel the other day.Come to think of it I seem to be missing that 5 inch pipe from the back yard.HMMMMMMMMM:big_smile::lol::eek:oooh::smile2:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have a box of 6 little plastic packages..Its Tomcat Mouse & Rat Bait. My concern is,I can place the packages in the building and in the holes in the floor they've chewed(building floor is SHOT) but i'm worried the rats may drag the bait out where the dogs could have access.
    Whats your idea about doing it in the building?
    I got 4 of them the other day,3 with traps and 1 drowned in the dogs 5 gallon water bowl. I know there are more though.
    Any more suggestions???
    Thanks in advance Bro's & Sis's!!!

13. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I have a 4000 PSI 13 HP power washer, so I took the nozzle and shot every hole for like 5 minutes hoping to drown the evil little buggers! That didn't work....:angry:

14. kykatattack

kykatattack New Member

State:
    kentucky
    my grandpa stuck sticks of juicy fruit gum down the mole holes they eat it and cant digest it killing them off worked for him he only used juicy fruit for some reason worth a try he used about everything this 1 worked for him

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Wonder if it would work with rats and mice??? :confused2::big_smile:

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    John,

Since I am learning to go the safest, easiest, cheapest, and you know well, less is more, really works, theory, here are my suggestions off the top of my pitiful mind.

1. Purchase some glue traps....................IF you can stand the smell and removal of them.

2. REMOVE all poisons known to you, and find the largest feral cat in your area, have him/her clean them out, then adopt him and give him anything he wants for the rest of his natural life.

Hope these help.
    Cheryl

P.S. I didn't read your problem/where it was, or exactly what it was, but I think it was rats?

17. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the info Cheryl!!!
    A feral cat would be good but my dogs would make short work of it. I had good luck one night with rat traps-3 on traps and 1 drowned in a 5 gal bucket of water.
    I haven't put poisons out yet and if I do,it'll be in the building where the dogs can't get in.

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    John,

DO NOT underestimate a cat against a dog. Especially a feral cat, such as myself, so to speak! Even against many dogs, certain cats can hold their own and even win!

Now don't even think about putting poisons in a building, unless you can DEFINITELY keep the dogs away from the outside area of the building, because if you do, and the dogs catch or find one of them and eat it or bite it, the dogs are as good as dead, too.

Just food for thought, honey.
    Take care.
    Cheryl

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ok,I can't imagine losing my dogs.They're my kids...LOL!
    I'm just gonna keep setting the traps and try it that way.
    I appreciate the info...Tried to rep you but gotta spread it around...I'll owe you one...:big_smile: