Dang dog chewed thru my transducer cable..

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Damian_Storm, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    the little rat chewed thru the transducer cable about 4 " up from the puck...it's brand new too...i have it wired back up and i have it wrapped with electrical tape but it's not gonna last...any ideas on what i might be able to coat the wires with ???

2. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Plasti-dip might work.........Its primarily used for dipping tools.......worth a try if you can run it through a tube a few times. The only way i'd even try that is if its working properly. Might just be best to get a new one.........

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Man Dave...that location sucks, I was gonna suggest a short piece of plastic water pipe and 2 caps with holes drilled the size of your wire. Glue one cap on...slide over wire with cap on bottom...slide second cap up the wire to be glued on later after silicone hardens....repair wire...slide pipe up covering splice...fill with adhesive silicone, slide other cap down and glue it after silicone hardens completely. Clamp pipe to transom.......but ya don't have much wiggle room to work with where the dog chewed it.:sad:

4. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i was thinking of wrapping it tight with the electrical tape then coating it with hot glue...i can't think of any kind of rubber i could melt and coat it with...i hate to buy a new one cause the cable is $45 ..and the finder it's self was only $99....

5. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    where can i find that plasti-dip ?? is it pretty common at hardware stores???

6. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I'm sure you can find it just by doing a search. Also i almost forgot about heat shrink tubing..... Slide it over hit it with a torch and it shrinks to size.... It would probably work best and most hardware stores can get it.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Splicing xducer cables back together is always hit and miss but get some NON adhesive silicone tape. It's the kind that only sticks to itself. Wrap the area of the splice while stretching the tape and it will form a water-tight repair...W

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    You can get the plasti-dip or liquid electrical tape (my choice) at most any hardware or marine supply store.
    BTW, whur'd ya bury the dawg?

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    liquid tape will do the trick. have used it on underground electrical wiring and knock on wood....no problems yet.

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    there is a shrink tube that might work for you. i used one on the wires running to my well house to splice the wires together. you just slide the the tube on the wires and reattach the connection then slide the shrink tube over the connection and use a small torch on the shrink tube. works pretty neat. i think it would be water tight. i got mine at home depot or lowes store. it doesnt take a lot of heat but a small torch is nice. look in the electric dept.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i had that happen with rabbits. went and picked up a few rabbits at the farm to butcher. i just tossed them in the back of the truck and drove home. well in the 30min. it took me to get ready to butcher they chewed my cable in two places. i tried to reconnectit ,but it was wired in a way that i couldnt get it to work. it was wrapped around inside the outer coating like an antana wire. this was a magna and cost me 25$ for a new one. you mite want to be carefull with crossing the wires it mite fry your unit!

12. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I would use the liquid electrical tape, or get some 5 minute epoxy and coat it with several coats, allowing it to dry between coats.

13. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    well, you know once they get a taste for it... lol!

14. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    im with grumpy you can get a tube of 5 min marine epoxy. after you use the liquid tape. i also want to know where you burried the dog.

15. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks for all the suggestions..as for the dog....lol..well i yelled at him then he drooped his ears and looked up at me with his sad look and i gave in and had to pet him...kinda like the look from pus-n-boots from shrek 2... i know he is just trickin' me to get out of trouble..( i hope the wife don't learn this trick ! )

16. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I would use "Star brite" Liquid electrical tape. You can get it at most marine centers or hardware stores. You keep building up thin layers 5 mins between coats, then let cure overnight. It is completely water proof, just make sure everything is clean. I think epoxy would be to brittle and may carry current

17. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    My 2 cents
    You can buy heat shrink tube with mastic that flows out when heated. It's like a GE sealer.
    Bill

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heat shrink works well but I would sugest to use a hair dryer set on the hottest setting instead of a tourch for safty reasons, it will do the same job and no chance of fire. At work we use a regular heat gun which is just a glorified hair dryer

19. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The stuff Bill just mentioned is absolutely bulletproof. If I had your problem, that's what I would do. I use that stuff all the time for work and it will simply last watertight forever.

20. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You didn't say, but I assume you've soldered the wires back together and not just twisted them, right?