Dang coyotes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by countryboy79, Nov 30, 2009.

1. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Coyotes are getting really bad around here!! They have been messing with my grandpa's cows. :angry: I went deer hunting fri. afthernoon when it got dark a pack of coyotes started howling at me as i was getten out of my stand. Thats scary walking threw the woods in the dark knowing that a pack of coyotes are watching you. I've seen pic of coyotes out west the ones around here looks a lot bigger... Can any body give me tips on how to hunt them are kill them in anyway, They got to go!!!!! THANKS

2. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Is they anybody out here, know how to hunt coyotes ??????? I thought about tieing a deer ham in a tree and getten n a stand about 50 yards away or useing a rabbit call. I NEED HELP >>>>

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    just go get me lol around here they arent very elusive creatures

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I suppose you hunt with a gun. That’s what I would use to kill them if they came after you . LOL
    A gun shot will usally run them off even if you miss.
    We have a large pack in woods surrounding my rurel neighborhood. I listen to them howl at the moon every night. Acually sounds pretty cool. I hear them when they attack something too. Fight on. Heck of a sound. What ever critter they attack aint got a chance.
    So far we haven’t had any problems other than, had one come to my car port a while back. He was sick ready to die. And a few of the neighbors let their little yappen barking dogs run loose. Now and then one of them come up missing. I kinda aint got a big problem with coyotes.
    Back when I was a kid. I lived in South Texas we hunted them at night. We would hang meat up by a fire, using the fire for light and lay back about 50 yards away. Packs would come in circuling the place. Fire in the hole.
    Not sure if that is legal these days.

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Wesley, I have hunted Coyote and fox for a long time. Calling is the most successful way I have found. No need for an expensive caller as most any will work. In fact one of the very best short range callers is just making sucking noises on back of your hand. I always find a place where coyote are likely to be and get set up where I can see most of the ground around me without being seen myself. Start your calling and keep your eyes open. Also keep a close watch behind you. I have had them to slip in behind me several times. You may have to go calling several times but you will learn from each trip. Then one day you will all come together and bam, dead yote. But remember while you are learning, so is that yote, You will probably educate several of them before you score. Lots of fun. I think I have some pictures of some of my fox/coyote eqpt. in my gallery albums.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wesley,Welcome to the BOC,and welcome to the world. I've hunted and trapped coyotes for over 30 yrs,I aint no expert,But you need to get a grip,get your ba!!s up,boy. Just cause they howlin,dont mean theyre howlin AT you,thats just a coyote thing,they are most likely LAUGHIN AT YA,bein up in that tree and shakin from listnin to them howl. You had a gun? why were ya pi$$in down both legs??:wink:

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dien rabbit call check
    Red lensed spot light check
    lots ammo check
    Result Dead Coyotes

just make shure it ant against the law there.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Them predator calls work, keep a lookout behind ya, they can sneak up on stuff, you probably won't get attacked, but ya wanna be able to spot em. Shoot em and get another.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Get you some one-bite from a feed store . Mix it with some raw hamburger and bingo coyotes are history and anything else that eats it .....lol

10. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    when do you want me and my son to come down to take care of them??

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You need to be careful if you decide to use poisons or traps, good chance you, your kin folk or their neighbors dogs will end up being targeted along with foxes etc...
    Best to get a good dying rabbit mouth distress call to start out with. I have that and an electronic caller and have called yotes and bobcats in with both. I have the following tapes and they have all worked at times, grey fox pups fighting distress (late spring), Siren (locator) Jack rabbit distress (low pitch), Cotton tail distress (high pitch), rodent distress (high pitch), and deer fawn distress. If possible set up at the edge of a field where you have long range visability, If possible they will try to circle downwind. Sometimes I will bring 2 guns, a shotgun for close range shots and a rifle for long range depending on the location I'm planning on calling. As stated earlier coyotes will learn and become call shy. And as Richard stated don't be afraid of them, a coyote is more scared of you and will avoid you at all costs if they know you are there. The only time a coyote might be aggressive is if they are sick or they smell blood.
    Nighttime is also a good time to hunt, just check your states regulations before you go. Here if you have a landowners permission it is legal and you may go on public land as long as you inform the game warden in your area you will be going so he will know ahead of time when someone calls in on you. Get a red lens for your spotlight and they will not pay any attention to the light and are easier to call in at night, just watch out for the booger man :wink::smile2:.

12. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks for the tips!!!! I'am gonna kill me some coyotes.