Dana 30 axle shaft seal...

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Cattn-Jeep, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I'm going to start on my axle in the am... My drivers side axle shaft seal gave up. I've never taken an axle apart before and am a little nervous....any advice on what not to do? Anything I should be aware of and watch out for? Do I really have to pull the hub off?

'95 Wrangler-Dana 30 (front) w/vacuum disconnect

:embarassed:

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good Luck, it's not too difficult and pretty straight forward. I have not ever done a 30 before, even though I am looking at one sitting in the back yard right now. Done lots and lots of 44s, 50s and 60s though. Yep, you have to pull the hub and spindle to be able to get the seal and axle out. Just take your time and follow the manual and it will be no problem.

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Your talking about the seal in the differential right? Or the seal in the hub?

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Either one, you have to pull the hub and the spindle to get the axle out and change the seal....

5. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Yeah, it's the seal in the diff....the drivers side seal is in the diff, the passenger side one is somewhere in the axle tube according to the book. Unfortunately I didn't get to start on it today...It's really bugging me, I want to get it done. I'm worried that it'll be real expensive if I take it somewhere due to the amount of labor...Oh well, maybe next weekend.
    :sad2:

6. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    You actually have four axle seals in the front axle. 2 inner and 2 outters. The outter seals are easy to replace but the inners take alot of work. You have to pull the carrier to replace the inners. If you don't what you are doing, you can really mess things up. Make sure to mark the bearing caps because they only go in and work one way. If you do replace the inners, make sure that when you are putting the shafts back in to go slow. Take the weight off of the spindle end and put the axle shaft through the inner seal slowly and straight as possible. Make sure there are no burs on the splines. If you don't put the shafts back in slowly or not straight in, you will damage the new seal and have to start all over again.

7. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Edit. I forgot my outters are after market. To replace the inner, you'll still need to pull the carrier.