Dan River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by NCHawghunter, Mar 31, 2008.

1. NCHawghunter

NCHawghunter New Member

State:
    Alamance County North Car
    Anyone fish the Dan River for cats? I used to fish there and had pretty good luck on some decent channel cats.

2. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Brad went up to fish in the Dan last year but got there way to late. Actuallly fished in Madison or somewhere close but anyways like I said we got there way to late, fishing from the bank and casting into a river weve never seen in the daylight..... needless to say we went home empty handed...... Lemme know how ya do if you go. Its not to awful far to travel to from where Im at and Id like to learn some new waters myself!

3. NCHawghunter

NCHawghunter New Member

State:
    I see you're from Ramseur.....we're only 20 minutes or so from each other. I can be on the Dan in 40 mins from my doorstep. I used to catch some nice stripers and catfish up there several years ago......haven't been in awhile. I just picked up another boat today and am getting ready to head that way in the near future.

4. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    From Danville upstream there is good channel and bullhead fishing, and from Danville down there is good flathead and channel fishing and sometimes blues during high water periods in the spring. And the whole river can be fished under a NC license including the water in VA.

5. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Yup been here my entire life! It takes me about an Hr or more to get there from here ...... speeding a lil........where do yo put in at Brad? My brother said they seen a boat ramp up round the area we were fishin?

6. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Before you go fishing on the Dan, click here and read page two. Look under "Reciprocal License Agreements, Virginia". It says that the NC license is only valid if you're east of the Brantly Steam Plant Dam in Danville. It seems that anything upstream of that would require a VA license. It also appears that you'd have to access the river by boat in order to be legal. I don't think you'd be legal fishing from the bank in VA with a NC license.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_Regs/2007_08_Regulations_Digest.pdf

7. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    another thing you should no is in va. your only allowed one blue in possesion over 32inches,even if you are under nc license

8. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Hawg,
    We've fished the Mighty Dan several years for stripers when they run and have caught some respectable cats there too. Plenty 'o shad can be caught at Dan Daniel park or across the river at the "steam plant". If you're throwing a net for shad at the plant, put her as close to the damn as possible. There's some net stealing rocks just below, so throw it, count to three, and haul her in. We've caught a lot of shad below the low head too. (about 400 yds. below the dam.) If you put in at the ramp close to the sewer plant, the low head is navigable when there is plenty of water in the river, with a shallow draft boat. I have gone through the "crease" before in a 20' jon, but wouldn't dream of attempting it in my Carolina Skiff, Nope.....ain't gonna. Try putting in at Milton and working holes on the way up. Look for the Indian fish trap. Run right!
    Hope this info helps,
    Bigwhiskers

9. NCHawghunter

NCHawghunter New Member

State:
    I put in at Milton usually and work my way up and down the river depending on the time of year. (If the stripers are running, I head up to the dam in Danville.....once the "run" is over, I head either way depending on current). For some reason, you have to have 10 post in order to respond to a PM on this forum so I didn't want you folks thinking I was ignoring you. I am in the town of Alamance here in Alamance County. Not far at all from you. Thanks folks!

10. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Bryan I never knew that! Is that a new or recently changed reg? For the river also flows in and out of both states above Danville until Berry Hill bridge at the state line where it stays in NC until you get up into the head waters. I have also never known of anyone getting a ticket for bank fishing VA with a NC license? I guess it takes a lawyer to decipher the fish and game laws?

11. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    My understanding is that fishing under a NC license you follow NC law? If not the game warden's need to get in check with the NC juggers at Buggs! I am in total agreement for the 32 inch reg being enforced state wide.

12. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    There is also quite a few shad taken with a dip net against the dam.

13. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I don't know how old those regs are. A friend was recently telling me that I was illegal anywhere above the Clarkville bridges with my NC license. That caused me to read more carefully. Of course he was mistaken, he had confused the 360 bridge on the Roanoke with the clarksville bridges. And yeah! You do need a lawyer! Almost everytime a warden checks my boat he finds something illegal even though my intentions are to be perfectly legal. Luckily, they never write me a ticket though cause they plainly see my intentions. That's why I'm so set against making up a bunch of new regs all the time. I've been fishing in NC all my life and I still don't know half of 'em, not to mention they're changing all the time. You know, as best I can understand, if you went to the lake fishing, and drove your boat over to BIB&T and bought a new rod and reel, and then brought it back to NC, you'd be participating in the transport of interstate commerce. Now, if you didn't have a Coast Guard OUPV Captains license it appears that you'd be guilty of a federal crime (get a lawyer). The fishing is good! CP caught about twenty fish over thirty pounds last week (spring break). Well, you know he didn't say exactly where he was fishing, I'll let you guess!

14. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    No doubt!

How would a fella with a NC license have any idea what the VA regs are? They don't issue a "VA Regs Book" when you buy a NC license. Furthermore, the state lines ain't marked on the lake, unless you have GPS you don't even know what state you're in while you're fishing. Again, get a lawyer!

15. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    we got to have the right onfo to fish a tourn. in south boston so we made the call to va.inland water and fisheries and they said according to the rules and regs. our license will cover us but they 32 in blue rule applys ,if you would like the guys name and number PM me and i will send it to you

16. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i thought the same thing but i always want to no before i fish somewhere new that im not breaking the law so i investagate and get the rules and if i dont understand i will make calls so i no im right

17. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I talked with both VA and NC today! Well there is a lot of gray matter on both sides, both were shaky on their answers. I did get this much out of my conversations with them, that you can fish from the bank in VA with a NC license, but can not fish from the bank in NC with a VA license! You follow the regs for the state your in, with either NC or VA license. I suggested that NC and VA should come to an agreement on creel and length limits for the waters were reciprocal license apply. For they should be under the same management plan right? Creel of 20 cats in VA with only one blue over 32 inches a day, and no regs for NC on the same water? And I'm sure that Tom, Dick, and Harry understand! HA HA!:confused2: