Dan River report-27 April 08

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by bigwhiskers, May 3, 2008.

1. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Guys,
    Went to the mighty Dan last Sunday (27 April) for stripers with my friend David Cox. He's a biologist with the NCWRC and he said that the reports stated that there were a few stripers being caught at Milton. When we were putting in, I asked another angler if he'd had any luck. He advised that the only thing biting was a few catfish. That wasn't particularly bad news to me and we put the boat in and headed up river. The flows weren't too high and I was glad that we took David's 14 foot jon instead of my rig. We tried several places and settled in on a spot below a bend with about 9.5 feet of depth. We had shiners and a few bluegills out for at least thirty-five mins. and the only bites were from dinks that only scaled our baits. We moved up river about three hundred yards to a spot about 7 ft. deep, and put out our baits. We had only one run that turned the clickers on the 6500 C3"s. David was in the back of the boat and picked up the rod that was screaming. It sounded like a striper run, but Dave was unable to turn the fish as it ran downstream. We knew it wasn't a striper when he set the hook. Now, I could lie here and tell you that it was a giant flattie, but facts are facts. We don't know, as it broke clean the 65# test Pro Line super braid. I would have liked to have boated the fish, but, no drydock on that one. Hey, not all stories have pics attatched. No luck this trip. It had to be a flattie, as we were about 50 yards above a huge downfall that had been there for a couple of years. I'll write again when we go next time. Hopefully, there will be pics this time, with no speculation.
    Bigwhiskers:angry:

2. NCHawghunter

NCHawghunter New Member

State:
    Alamance County North Car
    Dang, better luck next time.

3. CATFISHGARY1

CATFISHGARY1 New Member

State:
    Coats,North Carolina
    i heard there were some beast in there i no we got a tourny up on the dan in south boston june 24th ,hate to here you lost him always heard them fish up there will spool the smaller reels like that and carry your line back with them to the river ,see youll next month

4. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Thats why they call it fishin and not catchin........It sucks when you're really needin a fish and the one ya hook up with breaks ya off...... Better luck next time guys!

5. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    have been tied into a few in the dan as well as buggs, theres some big flats as well as the blues in there:cool2:

6. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    one bite is more luck than i have had lately...hopefully our fortunes will change soon

7. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Oh yeah,
    our fortunes will be a changing! The time is getting right Bro. PM me and we'll discuss changing them soon.
    Bigwhiskers