Dan River Fishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by mr.whiskers83, Jun 15, 2008.

1. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Went out catfishing on the Dan at the Milton boat ramp Friday night. However, didn't have much luck a couple hits but that's about it. It was a good place to fish just bit to closed in at the better part of the hole below the bridge to allow for a long cast. Plus the current was quite strong at the bridge but I still gave it a go. I was using bluegills live and cut bait but still had no luck. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice on what I should do at this particular spot or if there are some better places I can go? Any help would be great. I was also wondering if maybe shad or goldfish might work better?

2. crricha13

crricha13 New Member

State:
    Danville, VA
    i use goldfish. and that place is decent, also you can go further upriver where its the island, and fish on the dan daniel side of that, ive had biggins on the hook but no luck pullin em in. also behind woodall if you walk out a lil ways to the river there is some good cats, hmmm and along the river walk its a couple places to hit up.

3. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    Are you talking about further up from the Milton ramp or up near the park itself? I've had a few people tell me that they fish on a sand bar near the park but they go to it for the opposite side of the river from dan daniel park and have caught some 30 and 40 pounders but have yet to really look for it. I don't know if that is where you are talking about or not.

4. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    I have also fished some since then off the river walking trail behind libby hill where a small creek runs in but didn't have much luck. I had one good run but didn't even feel the fish. There seemed to be a lot of carp around there so that might not be a bad bait to try if you could catch a few small ones.

5. j simpson

j simpson New Member

State:
    nc
    I caught several in the 30's biggest one being 33 and several in the 20's that was in june last time i fished it was week of the 4th and my son caught 1 21.5 and 1 17lbs, but everyone tells me that most of the fish are heading back down the river by the middle of july. Oh caught all mine on live blue gill.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry that I don't know anything about that area, by the looks of the other post it has good potential. I would say give it another couple of trys and your luck will change as you learn more about the water.

7. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    I know its a old post, but i work for Danville Public Works and we built the walking trail, we were under union street bridge week before last filling in the washouts and watched a guy catch a 40# and 20 something around lunchtime.

8. awmurray2

awmurray2 New Member

State:
    Oxford, North Carolina
    I've fished the sand bar you were asking about with no luck. Facing the boat ramp it's about 100-150 yards thru the woods to your left and watch out for for the cow patties lol . I can't say what I've had better luck with as far as bait goes. I have had hits and nibbles on a lot of different things. I think it all depends on what they're in the mood for. I usually use bluegill heads or goldfish ; mostly both until I find out what they're gonna bite. I lost a pretty big one a couple weeks ago on a goldfish. Threw it right in his mouth evidently. It hit the water and kept going. It broke brand new 60 lb line like sewing thread. Good luck. Hope this helps

9. mr.whiskers83

mr.whiskers83 New Member

State:
    Charles City,Va
    From what I've been seeing and hears it does appear that most of the big flatheads have moved downstream because of the water level. I still think there should be a few left scattered around just have to find them and that I some thing that I have not been able to do.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on getting out in the water, i hope you have better luck next time!

11. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    go to angler's park and walk upstream and you will find several holes all along the bank...also follow the track going upstream till you reach the corner and make a left down the bank..i have got good results from there...srry so late with post hope it helps