dams

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by armyfisher, Sep 25, 2008.

1. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    i've been lake and pond fishing pretty much my entire life, there is a place in my area augusta georgia called lock and dam. the topside is nice and calm and the backside of course is white water for about 25-40 yards great for big shad but i have never had good luck. i'm going to try and fish the top part but dont know if i should use the same tactics heavy weight decent sized circle hook with cut sardine or whole one. they are already dead and frozen and usually do great for channel cats but never flatties. if anyone has any insight or if anyone in the area is willing to take me out and show me the ropes that would be awesome i buy all my baits and gear so i wouldn't be mooching. but if i can get some insight brothers that would be great thanks brothers fish on!!!!!!!:smile2:

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i bet20 dollers they wont run and bend your poll, ive been fishing dams, and you have to go down stream for them to run , but if your a good fisher, thats were all the big ones just lay they wont move, unles that baits under there nose

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Id help you out but dont have much experience fishin dams. Thats going to be my next thing to get down when I get a bigger boat. Good luck to ya.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well we all need help on dam fishing but they wont bite hardly but thats were the huge ones lay in the mud, i get runs but there always channel cat up there, lets hear from some dam fishers, lol

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    The back side of dams are just about if not better than the front, If there is very little current you should downsize your sinker, If it's flathead you seek try any kind of live bait that is native in that body of water. As for rigs... you will have to expierement with that, I am not sure of the depth you will be fishing but for starters I would go with the standard 12 inch leader and target structure around holes....if you have no idea where the holes are just stick with structure, like I said it's going to be trial and error at any part of a dam until you get the groove down. You say it's a lock dam so the first thing that pops in my head as being structure would be the concrete walls, the second would be some kind of wood being it's the back side of the dam there is sure to be submersed or visible wood cover or both. that is where you should start. Another thing that rings a bell when the word dam is mentioned... OVERFISHED, If this dam is a very popular place for fisherman than a good tactic would be to fish a secondary spot "ONE THAT FEW IF ANY FISH THERE" these spots might take a little walking and may not "look" the greatest but can be very productive. Fishing secondary spots will help you in finding holes you nor anybody else knows about because no one takes the time to fish them.
    I hope this helps some, remember be patient as you enter the world of the flathead... it will pay off :wink:

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Slikk, all dams are different in their own ways, we all can assume that the big one is laying over there or over here, the only way to find out is to keep trying something different, including pulling the rods away from the spot that you "think" they are. thats what trophy hunting is all about...trial an error. I have nailed alot of my flatties in areas I didn't expect them to be, because the suspected "hot spot" wasn't producing squat and I decided to try a spot 20 feet from there.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    there there man the problem is getting them to bite they just lay there, in the mud and mouth the bait, you can never tell wen you got a bite

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Fish below the dam when the water is turned on high. If the water is calm, it's going to be a slow day. When the water is blasting, the fish will be too.
    If you fish a dam that has gates that look like garage doors, try to fish in the "grooves" the grooves are the spots in-between the gates. Catfish are know to sit in these grooves and catch fish that get chopped up in the turbines.
    Also, maybe a couple of hundred yards below the dam you will find "wing dikes" these are rocky structures that go out into the water put there to prevent erosion. Fish off the points of these on the down stream side.

Look for Eddies, places where the water swirls around and round. Big cats love Eddies.

Don't be afraid to use large bait. Once I had an 8 ich long Live crappie hooked below the dorsal. I had a fish hit it like a rocket, yanked my pole out of the rocks it was lodged in. Unfortunately my 8 oz. Sinker on the Carolina Rig I was using got hung in the rocks and I lost the fish.

Morale: If your fishing on riprap use a 3-way with a lit line to your weight. That way when the weight gets hung in the rocks it will snap off easy.

:0a26:

9. FLATHEAD STEVE

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If the fish is hungry he will eat, they don't get big from mouthing baits, that's why I said try somewhere else, In flathead fishing you have to find the ones that are biting, If you just throw your bait out and wait for them to get hungry.... that could turn into alot of uneventful nights/days. Although I do know of a guy that will set his bait infront of a cavity in a river walkway, one that he knows there is a fish in and wait up to twelve hours for that one fish to bite LOL!! so the waiting tactic can produce, it's just not for me

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Yeah what Patric said:haha:. I don't realy fish Dams to much, but I like to hit them in the dog days of summer, or when the water is ripping.

11. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks a lot brothers for all your input i'll be going out tonight even though its supposed to rain cats n dogs down here, a little rain aint gonna ruin my fishing night. i'll let yall know how things go again thanks a lot for all your knowledge and insight. thanks brothers and keep up the good fishing.:smile2:

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    another tactic that works for me is when the turbines are off and the dam gates are open i put a float,mostly a baloon,on my line and let the back wash take it out to where the water is going over the dam.i stop it just before it hits the fast water and let it hang there.if the big flats are there they will bite.

13. FISHSKINNER

FISHSKINNER Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Mike
    If it's like the dams i've fished there should be some calmer water kind of swirling on each end near the banks. If you can get your bait to stay next to the dam where the calmer water meets the faster flowing water you should do pretty good.