Dams

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by ironorr, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey, I am looking for a little help on choosing a good dam to start fishing now. I realize that late spring is when many cats congregate near dams and am looking to get out there as soon as possible. I have all my gear ready but now I am looking for where to start. Are there any particularly good dams to chose in southwestern Michigan that have produced better than others? I am in Kalamazoo and the Kalamazoo River and St. Joseph Rivers are closest. Any help from local catmen would be great!

2. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    You're right about Spring being the best time for #'s of cats. Channel cats in particular. I've never had any luck near dams on the Grand River. I usually find alot of cats staging under logjams and other current breaks far downstream from dams. That's not to say that cats don't congregate near dams this time of year. I'm sure they do it's just alot harder to fish those areas due to the heavy current. Alot more relaxing fishing downstream. If you can keep all the rods baited and in the water that is.:wink:

Dan

3. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Howdy Georg, I grew up just about my entire childhood waste deep in the Grand in Grand Ledge fishing smallmouth.When I got older I began to venture away to the dam in Fitzgerald park. I always fished the other side which can be accessed from Lincolnbrick Park. There are flood gates on this side that create a backwash effect just within casting distance. The flood gates are about 80 feet long and hold the river behind it as the dam allows the river over it. This creates a hugh reverse in the current,one really fast the other in the opposite direction. I recall one spring day when I was around 13, and the water was up me and two buddies caught over thirty channelcats in this backwash in a three hour period. We were about twenty to thirty yards down stream fishing parallel with the dam. Using just nightcrawlers and a slip sinker rig. Using walleye minnows yields awsome action for every type of game fish out there. Just about every cast a bite.