Dams and parts of Tillery in the spring , et al.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mintaka, Jan 27, 2010.

1. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Making plans for vacation in April , I was looking at an old forum by Yadkin Catmasters. That area is beautiful during this time of year. I made plans to travel to Tuckertown , Falls , Badin , and the Lilly's Bridge ramp during my offtime. Does anyone have luck in the tailwaters of Tillery , Falls , and Tuckertown during the spring? I've read promising reports from all spots , but was curious as to the tactics , bait , and presentation. Also was wondering if there is any way to fish the tailwaters of Badin and Tillery from shore. The entire area resembles Last Of The Mohicans , sans cameras and actors. They show a maximization of potential on all fronts , or maybe it's just me. Last time I went to Falls , I was about to go down a road that I believe led to Badin's tail , but a yellow gate stopped me in my tracks. I believe there is a path along Falls that can be taken from shore , but the terrain is questionable with the rods and tackle I will be carrying. Any assistance from boat or shore anglers is appreciated. Thanks!!

2. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    I have seen people fishing the north bank of the dam tail-race between Tuckertown and Badin Lakes. There is even a park like area there. You get a good view on Google Earth, also views of roads leading to there. I don't know how the fishing is, but it looks to be fisherman friendly.

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    You guys can fish right behind badin northern dam. The only problem is alot of people in a small area. In the springtime theres people there 24/7. Fishing from a boat is the best way-even a small one. As for Falls dam. If you ran into a yellow fence, then you took the wrong road. When you turn at the gas station just go straight. When you get onto of the hill you'll see a sign for Falls dam. It's about 2 miles to the ramp. The only problem theres no shoreline fishing there. The land is owned by Alcoa but lease the land to hunting clubs , which have the area posted. Falls is a good area to fish in the warm months. Last summer I had the best fishing I ever had down there.

4. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I have managed to find one spot to fish Falls from shore. There are several campsites on the west side across from the Uwharrie ramp that I've saw being used , and a long path through questionable terrain.
    The spot I found has a log that had been placed there by someone prior to my initial discovery. I'll go back in the spring. The last time I went it was fine for about 2 hrs. until the sun broke and the temps approached 100. I wouldn't mind trying it at night , but I won't.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Man, we gotta get you a boat Mason. You just gotta look and find you a 14ft jon with a 9.9. Together or separate you should be able to get it for less than 800 and could possibly even get one with a decent trailer too. Just look around, they're a dime a dozen down this way.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Mason, book me in for one of your trips. I will give you a freebie. Mac

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Mason you can,t beat a deal like Mac just offered you ,lucky dog

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Give me a shout Mason. I fish the Yadkin chain almost exclusively. You can have a seat on my boat if you want. The tailwaters are the place to be in the spring man!