Damaged? Abu Garcia 6000 spools

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by mailhiker, Feb 18, 2007.

1. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    I have Abu Garcia 6000 reels, and always keep the recommended 20 lb test. I read in the literature that comes with these reels that using higher lb test can damage the spool. What I want to know is has anyone encountered this problem when using higher test? Also someone told me that using spiderwire braid will damage the reel or dig in. Is this true? Why? Although I haven't caught a fish large enough to break off using 20lb test, one day I hope to, and would like to up my line test so mister big cat doesn't get away. Any thoughts, opinions or advice will be readily recieved.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have never heard of that, But I only use 20 lb test on my 6000.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've used anywhere from 12-40lb test on mine with no problems.I couldn't get a whole lot of 40lb test on it but I didn't need a whole lot.
    I've heard braid can slip on the spool unless you use some kind of mono first as a backing.I've also heard of it cutting in eyes but I never use braid and not sure on any of it.
    Now,I use 30lb test big game on most of my reels-6000's and 6500's and love it!!!

4. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sometimes after fighting a big fish your line specially mono get streched out to its maximum limit. The problem occurs a while after you landed the fish. The line starts regaining its normal state which put a lot of pressure on the spool. Some cracks.

5. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    back when i used spinners,i had 50# spiderwire braid on a new shakespeare and the line srtipped the gold paint off the spool.but the real reason i wont use sw braid is because i have had it break on the cast,TWICE.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I haven't heard of damage to the spool on the 6000s. In fact, I think they might be a little tougher than the spools on the 7000s and the old double knob 6000s.

The old 6000s and newer (post 1980) 7000s have a 3mm spool shaft. The 6000s have a 4mm shaft, and they're also shorter than the ones on the 7000, so I'd believe them to be a little sturdier. Does anyone have any actual data on this?

I use the 7000s with 25 to 30lb line when I need distance and large capacity. This also means I'm fishing in the rocks. I use 20lb on my 6000 and 6500s for bank and boat fishing. I havn't had any luck with the braids either. So far the best lines I've use is Big Game and Andes and Cajun Red (just can't see it at night).

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well i have 14 ABU6000 and all have 40# on them Cajun red and I have never have any troubles out of any of them.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use 100 lb power pro on mine. It's been on for the last 2 years with no problems and no slippage. I cannot remember if I wrapped the spools w/ electrical tape, but I have been snagged with a 28 ft pontton and still cut my hands until I learned to break snags with something other than bone and sinew.

9. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I use 7 ABU 6000, 6500 & 6600's. All of them have 30 lbs Cajun or Berkley Big Game on them and I haven't had a problem.

10. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    I have bunches of Abu's. I got 40 Pound big game on 4 of them. The only thing I do not like is that It does not hold much line. But other than that no problems here

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have a total of 19 6000's and 6500's and run 30 lb. on all of them. I have never had a problem at all.

12. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I have three 6501's and use Yo-Zuri 30 lb and haven't had any problems.