Dam Restrictions

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by stickusmc, May 13, 2008.

1. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    AS PER PRARIE STATE OUTDOORS.COM

Dam restrictions on the horizon

May 12, 2008 at 11:16 PM
    The state of Illinois is considering establishing distance restrictions for most Illinois dams.
    According to Steve Sarley, the restrictions would be in place 50 feet below dams and 300 feet above dams. The issue is currently being reviewed and comments are welcome.
    Legislation would impact 32 dams, including the McHenry Dam, the Fox River, Des Plaines, Kanakakee, Sangamon, Rock and Vermilion rivers.

Writes Sarley:
    “The McHenry Dam is a hot fishing spot and many fish, particularly big spring walleyes, are caught in spots that would be made “off limits” by the new regulation. Anglers farther south, such as those in Geneva, safely can wade much closer than 50-feet from the dam there. They would be out of business, as well. Other examples can be cited, but I am sure you realize what is happening here. We are facing a loss of many fine fishing spots.
    I have a few thoughts on the matter.
    There are 32 dams in the state that will be affected. They are of different sizes, volume of water flow, drop and depth, yet the state intends to put a blanket policy in place. To me, this would be akin to assigning the same speed limit to all roads in the state.
    One size does not fit all.”
    Click here to read Sarley’s column on the subject.
    To comment on the subject, sen an e-mail to//';l[1]='a';l[2]='/';l[3]='';l[31]='\"';l[32]=' 118';l[33]=' 111';l[34]=' 103';l[35]=' 46';l[36]=' 115';l[37]=' 105';l[38]=' 111';l[39]=' 110';l[40]=' 105';l[41]=' 108';l[42]=' 108';l[43]=' 73';l[44]=' 64';l[45]=' 110';l[46]=' 101';l[47]=' 104';l[48]=' 99';l[49]=' 116';l[50]=' 105';l[51]=' 75';l[52]=' 46';l[53]=' 101';l[54]=' 110';l[55]=' 97';l[56]=' 105';l[57]=' 68';l[58]=':';l[59]='o';l[60]='t';l[61]='l';l[62]='i';l[63]='a';l[64]='m';l[65]='\"';l[66]='=';l[67]='f';l[68]='e';l[69]='r';l[70]='h';l[71]='a ';l[72]='= 0; i=i-1){ if (l.substring(0, 1) == ' ') document.write("&#"+unescape(l.substring(1))+";"); else document.write(unescape(l));}//]]> Diane.Kitchen@Illinois.gov or write to: Barbara Frey, Administrative Assistant, Office of Legal Services, Department of Natural Resources, One Natural Resources Way, Springfield IL, 62702.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    whos got some dam bait? lmao.

well to many accidents im guessing. we had an 8 year old and his uncle grandpa go over the dam in clinton last season. didnt find the boy for a week.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I saw this one coming for awhile now. good ol Legislation takes awhile to get the paperwork done and playing politics.

4. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I can understand a person's frustration with blanket legislation. It seems they are too lazy to look at each situation and instead apply one rule to all situations. That being said, as much as I love my favorite fishing spots, it would be extremely selfish and closed minded of me not to be willing to give one up if the passing of such a rule would make it safer for everyone. Everyone knows that at certain times dams represent what is probably of the most dangerous aspects of our sport. I fish 'em and have no intention of stopping, you just gotta be smart. The legislators don't trust John Q. Public to be smart enough to take care of themselves and instead have to reduce everything to the lowest common denominator.

5. GotFish?

GotFish? New Member

State:
    Greenville Illinois
    There he goes again .......Frickin Uncle Sam ........the man is holding me down bro!:big_smile_2:

6. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Why does the state gov't (well Federal Gov't too) always think that they need to enact all this ignorant legislation!!!! I realize that dams can be dangerous, however, walking down the street can be dangerous. My opinion is to post warning signs to use caution and then when accidents happen they will fall on the individual that had the accident.

7. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    It's incredibly frustrating when those in charge don't consider you capable of taking care of yourself and treating everyone as though everyone was causing the problem. Instead of addressing the issue with the faction that needs to be addressed, everyone has to pay the price. It's like at work when one person screws up, next thing you know management makes a big deal and makes these blanket decisions affecting everyone instead of dealing with those that make the mistake. They lower us all to the lowest common denominator. One fisherman was unable to use his head, so all fisherman must be incapable of making appropriate decisions. That is logic being used in the passing of legislation like this.:doubt:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I realize that the Dams in consideration for this are small but, I have seen people do stupid things and get themselves into trouble in a hurry at places like this. They are not doing this to keep you from catching fish, they are doing this to keep you from becoming "FISH FOOD"!!!!
    Here on the Ohio River, there are distance limits at all of the dams on the river and, I might add "for good reason" Saftey is a big issue. They are big and have very dangerous currents in them. The dams on the rivers that they are talking about are small, shallow and, still very dangerous.
    The dams on the ohio are clearly marked and you can get yourself a hefty 300.00 fine for crossing those marked lines. Some are 150ft and some are 300ft, this includes lock walls as well.
    If you can't cast your line 50ft, you may need to consider taking casting lessons, LOL!!! Try 150 or 300ft, LOL!!!

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Then they have to bring out a search and rescue team to try and find your bloated body and retrieve it from the river. The money and, time spent finding you could be better spent on accidents that are unavoidable.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sometimes the saying "you cant fix stupid" comes to mind. even restrictions in place wont fix accidents. there is NO device in place to stop anyone from going over the dam i spoke of. the ones whom went over it. was during a t-storm. and with armed guards there. even they would have been under shelter during this accident.

just more and more laws. i sometimes dont agree. next. need a coast guard on board to go boating.

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i guess they make those dam restrictions for a dam good reason. dam it.

12. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Won't be my dead body that they will be searching for!! I probably respect the rivers and water in general as much if not more than most people. I just get tired of the government imposing stupid regulations on everyone for the mistakes of a few. Yes, dams can be dangerous places to fish, however, if one is experienced and careful most of the times these dams can be fished without any incedents. Just my opinion.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You are correct in some aspects of what you are saying but, I have know people that have had accidents and drowned at dams that new those places better than most. So to say that it can't happen if you know what you are doing, keep this in mind..... They said the same thing that you are saying and didn't make it.

14. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    That and you have to be inexperienced to become experienced most of the restrictions are the homeland security regulations on bridges and dams

15. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, your right that accidents can happen to anyone and at any time. Just gotta be as careful as you can and try to avoid dangerous situations as much as possible. I've told my fishing partner on several occasions that fish aren't worth dying for.

16. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I don't think this is about accidents, this all about the terrorism thing. All dams that have a road across them will be clossed as soon as they can afford to build a road around it.