Dam fishing

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Stoneman187, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well I went to Eufalla Dam yesterday. Nothing much going on. The water was the lowest I ever saw it, with no water coming out anywhere. No bait and the Catfish were hardly biting. The only thing I got was real cold. But I am looking for it to pick up, before too long. Only one other person out there fishing and I saw him cast for two hours and get nothing either. Well thats Fishing I did real good last year and expect to this year as well. :big_smile:

2. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Bill, thanks for the report.

I've been wondering if anyone was fishing there, and how they were doing.

Bill

3. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Does any one fish for stripers at euffala dam and when is a good time to fish for them and how is the fishing. i was told that is one of the best spots for numbers of large stipers

4. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Seems the best time for stripers at the dam is when they are running the turbans. They run them a lot and the guys get on the north side up on the fence and cast into the fast water with artifical lures. I really dont fish for them much just catfish mostly. I will be down there as soon as the weather warms and my wife has a day off. I am planning on being there a lot this spring, will take my camping bus and stay 2 days. At least thats the plan for now. When I was there they were doing some repair on internal equipment and the dam was all shut down , but could have the turbans going now. Hope this helps you

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I fished there for the first time last year and had a ball. I usually fish ft gibson dam as it's alot closer. I'm interested in knowing what the most popular lures are for the stripers at eufaula dam.

6. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well perhaps I can make it up there again this week sometime. I sure hope they are running the turbins this time. I have seen a lot of stripers cought up there so lots of luck catch a big mess. :smile2:

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can get on the internet and find the website ( i can't think of it off hand) that will give you the generation schedule at all of the dams in this area. someone might have the information and can post a link on here.

8. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    But it never tells if they are generating power or not would love to have the site that does. Sure would help deciding if this is a good day to go, since it's 150 miles round trip and gas $3. a gallon. Thanks

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I believe the chart only shows if they're running turbins, not gates. I know at ft gibson the max it shows is 4, and there's only 4 turbins there and over 20 gates. I suppose when they're generating, that's what it's showing.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well, I just went out to ft gibson dam to see if they were running gates or just turbins like the website shows. All they're running are turbins and there's lots of shad, just too damn COLD! Besides, there's no way I could have fished there anyway. There were so many pelicans floating out there, that you couldn't cast without killing one! I stood in one spot and stopped counting at 100(actually was able to count that high without help). I don't know how they'd be in the smoker, so I'll wait till they're gone, LOL. I did notice the lake is up 7.5 ft, so if all they run is turbins, then they may still be doing it later next week on my days off, IF IT WARMS UP JUST A TAD!

11. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Call the local US corp of engineers office at the lake, and have them give you the phone number for the generating schedules. They also can give you the schedule for that day. I have the number for Kaw Lake, but Ponca City is a long, long way from Eufala. I have fished below Eufala Dam many times, and it is an awesome fishery.

12. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
  13. jdorton

jdorton New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    try this, i dont know if its what your looking for, but i use the corps web site to watch for elevation and flow changes to fish. you can access all of the stream and river stations also and they are in real time. look at the previous days or weeks if you are having trouble telling if the river is up or down, or what they have been doing with generation. hope this helps.
    www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/ops_hydropower/hydromainpage.html

14. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I check every day and so far the dam is not generating or releasing a drop of water. So under those conditions there will be few fish and no bait there to be cought I am getting cabin feaver sitting here waiting to go. But since I went already and nothing stiring I will wait for some water action to go.

:sad2:

15. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes I went to Alma today and treated myself to a new 13' Meat hunter rod with stainless steel eyes, a casting rod and bought a new 6500 CL3 reel which says it was says made in Sweden. Seemed to be a bargin to me as the rod plus reel came to a total of $99. Then on the way home stopped at Wally world and got a spool of power pro 40. Now I have read that some say you need to have some mono on the reel before you put the braded line on could use some help. If so how much mono and what size. They say this 40 lb Power Pro is the same size and 10 lb mono. Any help will be appreciated thanks.

:wink:

16. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Bill you don't have to. It just takes more wraps on the spool than mono to keep from sliping. Some will will wrap their spool with electrical tape and then go with the power pro.

17. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Bill, i don't know how much it would differ from baitcaster or spinning but if you were throwing long distance, i on my spinning reels, put my mono backer line on half of the spool, then use a albright knot to tie on the power pro, it works out perfect with 175yds of that braid spool to within in a 1/8 inch of the outside of the spool, with that stuff being 12 to 15 bucks a peice you don't want to buy anymore then you have to

18. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Really don't quite know what to expect but I am loaded up and the wife and I are giving it a real try in the morning. will take some frozen bait as I have no idea what the bait situation may be just now up there. I will let you all know when we get back. Seems they are not running any turbins tomorrow.

19. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There was no bait to be caught. I was not surprised at that. I took some frozen Herring good thing. not much action today no water running at all. We fished from about 11 am till 4 pm and I got one small keeper. Not even many bites. There were several other men fishing maby a dozen all told and saw only one other fish about 7 pounds. Now there was a fellow I reconized up there when we got there who says he fished every day this week like from dawn till about 10 am and has done quite well, mostly cause thats when they run the turbines on week days from 6am till 9 am. That is about all the news. I also saw several men in boats with remote control boats to take their line to the dam and I only saw them reel one in and they were there for hours as well. That is about all the Dam news for today folks. We did enjoy fishing and being out in the sun today I like fishing even if the fish are not biting, though when they are its even better. :big_smile:

20. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Brother Bill,Man I can't wait to hit the wall with you this year.We tore them up last year.That was the most Catfish I have Ever caught.Awesome fishing.I hope I get to see ya again at the wall.Take care Bro...