Dam fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigbadaaron, Mar 29, 2007.

1. bigbadaaron

bigbadaaron Guest

fishing near a dam what to use where to fish how to fish it

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It depends on how much snags, and current. I would either use a slip float rig or a three way swivel rig.

3. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I normally use a dam hook with dam weights. I lose so many dam weights though and dam swivels and all it gets pretty dam frustrating.

For real, as was already posted it depends on what conditions are like below the dam. Rocks are easier than timber, just tie on a smaller test drop to your weight than to your hook. The slip bobber rigs are great certain times of the year and they're virtually snag proof.

4. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    i fish a dam here in texas, and fishing a float along the rocks, letting it drift with the current will pic up some nice channels. fishing the bottom if you can find a snag free hole will produce some nice yellows and blues....like said before, if snags are a problem, just tie your wieght on with say 8 lb line so when a fish hits and it is hung, it will break the light line and you wont lose the fish or the tackle

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Its been explained so well already it leaves me with nothing else to add except, be careful and stay safe around that swift water below the dams.

6. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    slip rigs in shallow water has worked for me as well on dams on the Red in ND.. good luck and catch the big one. he is still out there.