dam fishing

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by boliver, Aug 29, 2005.

1. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i'm a new member, is any body catching much below the dams. i have fished below 13 several times. without much luck, used cured liver , shad and minnows hooked like cut bait.only times i caught anything was minows.

2. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    i also fish below 13 but without the gates open it is very slow. i went by this morning they had all gates open. that should get'm stirring

3. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    We havnt done much below Dardanelle this year, just some small ones early. Not much water. We`ll get em this fall. Gotta rain sometime!!

4. xtremecatfishin

xtremecatfishin Member

State:
    Conway Ar
    Me and my girlfriends dad went below the dardanelle dam, last week and caught 10-12 decent size blues nothing with any size on them but he went back the next day and caught a 23lb flathead
    later,
    Savage

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Savage, what did you use for bait? which side was you on? Thank for any info.

6. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Probably the same bait that screwball John Tisch uses, Flatties sure like lively Bream.
    Sorry John John didn't mean any offense. Where you Been? Has Jen been keepin you under wraps? :D

7. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    whats a hotter spot?Below or above a dam?

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Below the dam has been best for us. Close to the turbines,has been hot.

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :cool: I fish at #13 all the time...below and above..below when you drift fish
    i usually hit the blues about 20 yards off the bank in line with the big electric tower about 100 yards below the dam..there is a drop off there..and above the dam i run about 4 miles above the dam to the gravel bars...darn good spot.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    We will try above the dam this year. I will fish closer to the dam but on the high side. I have head of some deep holes there. :D

11. ictalurus

ictalurus New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    I've often thought about it, but never have done it. I know the fish are there, but I'm not sure where or how to fish that area since it is completely different than below.

I catch a lot of fish below turbine dams, but not gate only dams. Turbines chop bait which equals lots of fish.

I think that the deep water upstream of dams like Toad Suck could be really good, but it is getting harder and harder to attempt the unknown when there are so many other options. If anyone has every caught fish on the upstream side of the dam inside the 100yd limit, please let us know. Thanks. :0a31:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While I've never tried fishing just above a big dam, I did spend some time with a paper graph recorder just above Blakely Dam, which forms Lake Ouachita. I had heard of some big catfish there; I marked a number of fish in the 4'-6' length range, but of course I couldn't tell if they were cats, gar, or stripers. They were down pretty close to the bottom in a couple of hundred feet of water.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If the dams work there like here at Pickwick. we catch lots of good blues right above the dam. As theres deep water there and plenty of fish.
    And we also catch them above the dam along the rock bluffs. Fishing 30 to 60 ft deep.
    Lots of big fish caught along all the dams on the Tn river right above the dam.

PEte

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    How close to the dam on the high side can a person fish? I realize that the lock is on one end but I will fish the opposite end from the lock. How close will they let me fish? :confused:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You aren't allowed to take a boat within 100 yards of any dam on the Arkansas River where governed by the Corps of Engineers. There are limit signs on the upper side of the dam just like on the lower side.

16. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    they fish right above the generator at 13 some as close as20 ft. there have been some 25-30 lb mostly nite fishing i dont know how they got them outt they were caught near the bridge pilings. several people fish below the dam daytime and above at nite. this is bank fishing