Dam fishing topic

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by harper81, Sep 22, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    One of the spots I fish or try to anyway is a platform right below a dam. I have only got a few small cats and lost a lot of hooks and sinkers. I have saw a few larger cats come out, but its seems to come to the people that our fishing close to the dam as possible. I hate casting that direction because it seems it is instant snag. Then I cam across an article on ESPN by Keith Sutton. In it he talks about going fishing with guide Jim Moyer. Jim Moyer instructs him to just throw his bait up on the dam and let it roll off into the water. It will get hung up, but soon enough a big cat will swim up and pull out the snag for you.

So I am yet to try this method, but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this with any success? I would hate to go try it and lose a bunch of hooks and sinkers for something that won't work.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    a variation of that might be to do the same thing but to use a slightly lighter weight that youd want to use so that it'll drift down into the current like it would if it was an injured fish.that way you'll snag less. I've not had the oppurtunity to fish a dam yet but this makes sense to me... in theory.

3. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Bill, it's a great way to catch cats, large and small. Try using a lighter test line on the sinker dropper, maybe 10 pounds, so that you only lose the sinker and a fish can break off the sinker when it grabs the bait and still be caught, rather than break off the hook. You go through a lot of hardware below a dam, but it's worth it!

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Below the Arkansas River dams here in central Arkansas, there are several methods used. One, of course, is to fish right up next to the dam with a float, keeping the bait & sinker off the bottom. This can be very effective at times for blues and channels. For flatheads, the bait needs to be on the bottom. Another method for blues and channels is to cast into the boils, let the sinker hit bottom, and immediately raise your rod tip to get the sinker off the bottom; lower your rod tip so the sinker hits bottom again reeling in the slack, raise your rod tip, etc. till your line is pointing downstream, at which time you reel in and make another cast. For flatheads, the bait is a live bream, and the cast is at an angle downstream; the sinker is encouraged to hang up, and it sits there till a flathead takes the bait. As mentioned above, attaching the sinker with a light line makes it easier to break off your sinker without also breaking off your hooks. If you have trouble with the light line breaking during casting, look in the library for how to make a sinker sacrificer, which allows you to cast with the sinker attached with heavy line, but is only attached by light line after it hits the water.