Dam Fishing the Ohio River - Paducah

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by CatSkinner, Jul 31, 2007.

1. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    Hey everyone.

I've been living in Paducah for about 16 months and have only fished the ohio down at the fishing barge. I would like to fish one of the dams, but don't have a clue which one.

I noticed on mapquest (aerial view) that there is a dam just downstream from where highway 45 crosses the Ohio. The road leading up to it is Dam 52 road. Anyone ever fish there? If so, is the access fairly easy?

Is there another that is relatively close. How's the access/parking? any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tony

2. katmandu

katmandu New Member

State:
    Ky.
    I have never fished at Paducah. Smithland is not far up river from you on highway 60. If you have a boat, below the dam is a good place. Plenty of room to park but I have not seen many people fishing the area except in boats. You’re also not far from Ky Lake and Barkley Lake dams, if your just wanting to fish a dam and not only the Ohio River. I have had good luck at all of them.

3. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    I fish Ky lake all the time; above and below the dam. I'm just looking for something different. I'll be checking dam 52 out today. Perhaps next week I'll drive up to smithland.

I don't have a boat so I'm limited to where I can fish. I'd like to find more access points to the ohio river for bank fishing.

4. CatSkinner

CatSkinner New Member

State:
    Paducah, KY
    Well, I drove out today. I stopped into a "shooters supply" store and asked about the road since there wasn't a road sign up. The lady asked why I wanted to go to the lock and dam. I responed that I was looking for access to the ohio for bank fishing. She said it's a private road, that they owned it, and basically no one gets permission to fish back there.

It suprised me that it was a private road since it's named on all the maps as dam 52 road. I kind of assumed it was a county maintained road, but I guess not.

5. katmandu

katmandu New Member

State:
    Ky.
    You could call the county road department to ask about it, at least you would know for sure then.

6. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    CatSkinner,
    I don't know if you would be interested or not but I could show you many places to fish from the bank on the Mississippi river from Wickliffe all the way down to Columbus. Wickliffe is 30min from Paducah on US60 West.