Dam fishing - Anyone catching catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by aaronm283, Mar 15, 2006.

1. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    anyone haveing any luck below damns yet?

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Not me. We are talking wide open dam no banks, very muddy.etc,etc.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Oklahoma is just the opposite... not enough water to let out of the dams. No water, no fish.

4. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I have always had alot of luck fishing the tail water of dams/locks on the Mississippi. Its been too cold lately though in the St. Louis area to try to fish one yet though. If its warmer where you are, you could always give it a shot and see if anything is hitting yet.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have not done any dam fishing. Those dam cats are hard to catch. I end up having a bad dam day everytime. What kind of dam bait do you use? What kind of dam rods do you use?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

6. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I just got back from Truman Lake (Missouri) yesterday, and I didnt have any luck for blue cats at all. Supposedly they are supposed to be great some times of the year, but we didnt have anything on except an intellectually slow blue cat (about 8 oz. in weight) and a couple dink channel cats. My friend had a couple nice runs, but nothing too big. So I cant say I have had any luck either. At least its good to know that it isnt just me messing something up ;)

:0a26:

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I dont use any fancy equipment just the standard stuff you can pick up at Walmart. Im currently using a southbend catfish pole with 606 zebco reel, and a boss hog reel/pole setup I bought from there (808 zebco reel, pole?). I have never caught a catfish over 10 pounds yet, but hoping to land one this year. I use various baits though, stink bait, shrimp w/ garlic powder, chicken liver w/ garlic powder, hotdogs. I just keep tossing it out with differant baits until I find the hot bait of the day.

8. CptAhab

CptAhab New Member

State:
    Manitoba, CAN
    I fish the eddies and slackwater just off a dam and have found that unless the weather throws a wrench into things the fishing has always really been good to great. I use slipriggings with 4/0 or 5/0 kahles and cutbait, usually sucker or goldeye and shrimp. No-roll sinkers are a must, and when the water has been really high there may be eight to ten ounces of lead on my line. Equipment wise, I like heavy spinning equipment, longer rods make it easier for me to handle fish close to the bank and manouveure them around obstructions and all the debris thats washed up on and along the shore.

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Nope i haven't been doing any dam fishing as of yet i did see some boats up by the dam this last week. prolly wally fishing.. i'm more of a cat man myself.

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent heard any good reports from Markland or meldahl just small fish at this time.

11. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    well all i can say is... dam

12. Weisscat

Weisscat New Member

State:
    Weiss Lake Alabama
    Captahab... Thats exactly what I do, except I use baitcasters. Dont know yet eather tho... ramping up for a big fish come first weekend in april, When I know the dam is open.

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Guys

Opinion from what I've seen and read but still an opinion!!

If the Blues make a pre-spawn run up the rivers and I believe they do, my opinion is either the guys are not talking or we are missing out BIG TIME!!

14. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I haven't gotten to do any dam fishing at all lately, much less caght a dam fish :p