Dam current...

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by OHFishmanB, Aug 4, 2006.

1. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Any suggestions on how much weight and/or techniques to use while fishing the tailwaters of local dams? I'm planning on fishing several ohio river dams this summer and need to know how much weight to use to keep bait on bottom. The biggest weights I have so far are 3oz....

2. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    It all depends on how fast the current is moving...Just basically trial and error.Arm yourself all the way up to 5oz if the current is really strong and you want the bait to stay in one place and not drift downstream.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I haven't done this type of fishing for awhile but this is how I rigged up. Tie a 5oz. wire sinker on the bottom shape the wires to resemble a trebble hook. Above the sinker about 14 to 18 inches make a drop loop and attach your hook. The wires will hang in the rocks and your bait will be suspended above the rocks. When a fish hits it will usually jerk the wire sinker free. In heavy current stick with heads or fillets as bait they will stay on your hook.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I have never fished your waters but I have personally used up to 10-12 ounces fishing the tailrace of someArkansas River dams. I have read on here where some of the Mississippi boys use 16 or more. I like it better when you can get by with 6 or less.

ST

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If there is any current, 5 oz probably will not hold. Best bet is 7 oz claw sinkers. They would almost be good enough to anchor a boat with.

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    I just came in to see who was so mad about current!!!:big_smile:

7. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well brothers... to answer my question, it took around 10oz to keep the bait from moving. They only had one lock open at the dam but the current was racing. I was fishing with 7oz and it wouldn't touch bottom. Unfortunately, no big fish either. Only a few gar.