Dam Boat

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by OhioRiverCatfisher, Aug 5, 2008.

1. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    These boats are remote controlled boats that are usually powered by a cut down trolling motor. Gives you the ability to put your line where most can't cast to from shore or get to by regular boat by releasing your line from them remotely. Does anyone have one or used one. If so did it help in increasing your catch or size of your catch? I have never seen one except on the internet and have wondered how effective they really are.

2. OhioRiverCatfisher

State:
    West Virginia
    This is what I am talking about. The line releases are not on this one yet but it gives you an idea as to what I am referring to. You control it with a setup like an RC model airplane has.

Attached Files:

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They use them here in Oklahoma. Boy do they make bank fishermen mad. I had a run in with a guy down at the spill way one morning, I was fishing and he ran over my line 3 time (monofilament) after the 3rd time I drug in my poles and changed reels, (the one with the 50 lb spiderwire on it) and hung it up intentionally.

He was rigging up to take another line out, and right over the top of my line he went. That spider wire stopped that trolling motor immediately, after it sucked off about 30 yards of wire into the prop. It cut my line. Lol he was still there at 1:00 trying to get it unstuck.

Me and him had a few words, he thought there was nothing wrong with cutting my line 4 times. We just didnt see eye-to-eye on it.

If you are going to use one be considerate of the people around you. Stay well clear of other peoples lines. I really have no problem with them as long as the user has respect for other people fishing and dont run over the top of their lines.

4. OhioRiverCatfisher

State:
    West Virginia
    Sounds like the guy was pretty rude about the situation you were in with him. I assure you I would not be that way. I have heard of the dam boats before and probably won't get one but was just wondering how effective they actually were. I imagine they would be a little pricey to purchase. If I had one I would probably be lucky enough to have the safety line snag a tree, break the line and I would get to watch my $$ float down the river... :smile2:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR

Can't get a planer board to go upstream. Now, one would be great to get your line further out from the bank downstream. Generally, though, a dam boat is used to get the bait up close to the face of the dam or powerhouse in places where it's hard or impossible to cast. For instance, if you're on the bank, and there are, say, 12 powerhouse openings, you're not going to be able to cast much more than halfway. Or, where you aren't allowed to take a boat any closer to the dam/powerhouse than 100 yards, by the time you anchor you're looking at having to make 125+ yard casts. A dam boat will get your bait to these places.

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Doug, thanks for making this thread. I've never heard of these before. I seriously doubt if I'll ever use one, but interesting none the less!!

7. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    That seems to be a pretty common problem these days. There are way too many people that just don't respect anything othre than thier interests, be it property or actions.
    It sad to see what things have come to. One of the biggest problems is nothing more than LAZY $SS slobs that can't even carry out the garbage they create and just throw it all over the place. That really pisses me off!
    I've many times wanted to say something but hesitate to do so only because I want my truck to still be as I left it when I get back to it. There is already window glass all over the parking area.
    Anyway, hope you don't ever have to deal with the line dropper guy again.

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I've never heard of them before but all I can say is it seems like alot of work.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I saw one many years ago. Dad wouldn't stop so I could watch.
    I don't think it was rc though.
    Just a boat and motor.
    have a good one
    just

10. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
  11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never seen one, I understand the concept and I can see how if could have advantages in very specific situations. I doubt I will ever find myself wanting one