dam bait boat

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by handsomejack, Aug 5, 2008.

1. handsomejack

handsomejack New Member

State:
    Ilinois
    I'd like to build a trolling motor powered bait boat but I'm having trouble finding a suitable hull. Any ideas would be appreciated

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Have you thought about simply using a big chunk of styrofoam? Say, something about 3' x 4'.
    Or, use aluminum or pvc tubes and make a mini party barge about that size.
    I say about that size, because you need something small enough to carry in the boat, but big enough to handle the rough water below a powerhouse or spillway.

3. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Try checking with your local hobby shops that carry RC stuff. They may not have something in stock but might be able to order or guide you where to go to find what you seek. Trying on the internet too would be something that might also produce results.

4. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Take a look at these pictures:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/album.php?albumid=232

This one was made by shootinglow, a onetime member here.
    It requires two poles, one for your bait and to reel in the fish, and one with heavier line to reel the boat back into you.

5. handsomejack

handsomejack New Member

State:
    Ilinois
    Some great ideas, I think the PVC tubing party barge sounds like the way to go. Have already started looking into the RC stuff. All this is new to me but it sure sounds like fun!!!

6. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    :confused2: can someone please explain to me what a bait boat is for and how do you use it.i've never seen or herd of 1:embarassed:

7. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    :0a33:is one that won't start...no wait a minute, it is a remote controlled vessel designed to enter the treacherous waters below a dam and take your bait beyond your capability to cast. It gets you to where the big cats might be waiting. I have seen this done with small boats taking shark bait out into the ocean from piers, before most states outlawed it.

8. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    ok,my next? is how do you control the thing,do you just hope it goes where you want it to?

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're going with a really strong motor like a trolling motor (which you need below a dam), you want to use a rudder behind the prop to steer the boat, rather than trying to turn the TM itself. Why? The size of the actuator required for a rudder is much smaller than what would be needed for the TM; and thus much cheaper. Also, you'll find that you can get the RC equipment with various numbers of channels. You'll need a separate channel for every task to be performed. For instance, if you want to have a dump bin to hold your bait & sinker, then dump it over the side when you press a button, you'll need a channel for that. More channels = higher cost. Thus, your cheapest RC rig only controls direction; you manually turn on the speed before you release the dam boat; have the bait & sinker laying on a flat surface of the boat and simply pull it off when it gets where you want it; guide the boat back and grab it when it gets within reach & turn off the prop. A really fancy model will have on/off controls, speed controls, bait & sinker dump, a chum dump, and whatever else you can think of, as well as directional controls.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're going with a really strong motor like a trolling motor (which you need below a dam), you want to use a rudder behind the prop to steer the boat, rather than trying to turn the TM itself. Why? The size of the actuator required for a rudder is much smaller than what would be needed for the TM; and thus much cheaper. Also, you'll find that you can get the RC equipment with various numbers of channels. You'll need a separate channel for every task to be performed. For instance, if you want to have a dump bin to hold your bait & sinker, then dump it over the side when you press a button, you'll need a channel for that. More channels = higher cost. Thus, your cheapest RC rig only controls direction; you manually turn on the speed before you release the dam boat; have the bait & sinker laying on a flat surface of the boat and simply pull it off when it gets where you want it; guide the boat back and grab it when it gets within reach & turn off the prop. A really fancy model will have on/off controls, speed controls, bait & sinker dump, a chum dump, and whatever else you can think of, as well as directional controls.

11. handsomejack

handsomejack New Member

State:
    Ilinois
    Thanks Jerry
    What would make a good hull, been thinking of using 8 inch pvc tubing. Any thoughts?

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds like a good start. Just be sure to make it long enough and wide enough that it's not going to tip over in the rough water; goes for a dam boat made of anything. If you should find that you don't get quite as much floatation from those two floats, you can do the same thing they do with partybarges....add a third float in the middle.