Dam-B Drawdown (Angelina/Neches Rivers)

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by oldnndway, May 10, 2006.

1. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    FORT WORTH, Texas - In an effort to combat nuisance levels of non-native aquatic vegetation at B. A. Steinhagen Lake in Jasper and Tyler Counties, the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, in coordination with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, plans a summer drawdown of the lake.

The normal elevation for the lake is 82.5' above mean sea level. The schedule for the summer 2006 drawdown is as follows:

- May 10-20, draw lake down to elevation 76' above m sl.

- May 20-July 31, lake will remain at elevation 76' above m sl.

- August 1-September 15, draw lake down below elevation 60' above m sl.

- September 15-30, begin bringing lake back up to full pool.

This is an excerpt from a story on KJAS radios website.
    http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_...pnpID=974&NewsID=717717&CategoryID=18335&on=1
    Last time they did this that I was aware of it dropped the rivers down to the main channels out in the middle of the river bed.
    Concentrates the heck out of the fish in the river (they gotta stay in the water but there's less of it)
    Just thought some of you might find this some interesting info.

2. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    That would be the logical thought process, but we have found that if the Mississippi River drops below a certain point the fish just don't bite!!! Now, we aren't experts so it may be that when the level drops they move to different areas, but we just haven't successful when the water drops below 18 feet.

3. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    It ought to at least get dam-B where you can get around out there with out a go-devil

4. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I didn't know it could be dropped that much. If Dam-B drops 3 feet it's all dry ground. Maybe some of those bullfrogs up there will migrate down this way.

5. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    when are they going to drop dam b? do you think that they would try to dig it out any? that would make it very nice

6. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    The dates are above for the when ...

They never dug it out during a drawdown that I've known of .
    I would like to have some of that dirt for my yard if they did... I figure it would be rich soil.

I did hear that way back one year when it was down (maybe in the 50's) they tried cutting some hay off it but there was fishhooks in it and that didn't set too well with the cows.

You really can tear the bass up along the creekbeds when it gets low where the only water is in the channels...especially along Spring Creek.

7. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    there should be some decent fishing in the channels. i wouldnt mind trying it out atleast.

8. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    Talked to a guy this morning that has been putting in at the Hwy 63 bridge and at Bevilport and has been tearing the bass up.
    River is WAY down....water only in the main channel.

Hard to put in at Bevilport but do-able with a flatbottom or other small boat.

Dam-B is a mud flat except the creek channels and right out in front of the dam.
    Oughta be some good catfishing out there.