Dam # 5... Arkansas River 7-4-09

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by whisker maniac, Jul 4, 2009.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well my wife and I got up at 3 am this morning and loaded up and left the house by around 4 am. We drove up to Dam # 5 and met up with raysplay and his wife puppypal and CNTRYBOY came along too.

Ray and his wife beat the rest of us there and were already fishing by the time we had gotten there but he told us he didn't know if the skips would do anything and he was having a somewhat of a hard time getting much bait at all but he hadn't tried the skips yet.

My wife and I rigged our poles and went down the rock dam at an area adjacent to the end of the wall and cast into the swirling water that was coming around the end of the wall. We were using sabiki rigs and we started catching skips..... er rather my wife started catching skips. Turns out she's a skip catching Queen.

The skips weren't hitting super good but we did manage to catch 30 of em that were 10+ inches long.

The cats didn't co-operate tho and we came back empty handed on the cats. But, I'm glad we got some good bait.

We packed up and headed home about noon as it was just getting too hot to be out there anymore. Or, at least, it was for us. Ray, his wife, and CNTRYBOY stayed behind to fish longer. Hope they drink plenty of water... Course they had a whole river right and front of them to drink from. :eek:oooh::wink:

2. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Kev glad you and your wife got to come down with all the ups and downs you two had that week.:big_smile: Yes it was getting hot:angry:. I bet ya you passed my son on your way out he came to the dam around 12:00
    I caught one early at the river Dh also caught a eater. Newt was getting the job down of course with them worms of his not sure how many he ended up with but he left about thirty minutes after ya all did. Now for the top story...:roll_eyes:My son, whom wasn't feeling up to snuff earlier that morning caught a 16lber? we will weigh it later but as big as his other one. at of nearly the same spot you all were in...
    After you two left i caught a great sunburn and well since I couldn't walk the rocks today not much fish caught so to speak. But getting out to me is 50% of the fun:wink: Please tell the wife Hopefully next time we get together my back will play along!:wink: WINK! I have
    showered and cooled down and now it is time to raid the fridge.
    Give that grand boy tyson a hug for me! happy fourth you all

3. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    sorry i couldnt have met with yall today , sounds like yall had a good time , so you let the youngones get the best of you today , good deal on the skips kev , save some for wdm , im out lol

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    glad yall had a good time wish i had a been there.

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    glad yall got to make the trip kev. catching skips is as much fun for me as catfishing. bet your wife had a blast. too bad glens son caught your fish kev. you should have stayed just a little longer.glen, with your light complexion i'll bet you'd burn under a 100w light bulb.

6. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Sorry for the delay in posting, but yesterday was a long day.

I finally got going yesterday morning and on the road, but had to turn around to go back and get my catalpa worms i left at home. After getting to sheridan and stopping at the store, I found Kevin in the parking lot. Guess I was not the only one running late - the leader of this trip was way behind scedule too!:smile2:

After getting there I treied for some shad with no luck, so stuck with my Catalpa worms. Ended up with 6 on the stringer. The largest was 3 lb- 2 oz. I packed up to leave around 12:30 that afternoon. Before I left I made sure I refreshed Puppypal and Raysplay with some fresh catalpa worms.

Ray gave me the fish they had to go along with mine. So I brought home 12 cats and one Crappie.

Congratulations on the son's Catch puppypal. I enjoyed the time spent on the water. Would have stayed longer, but climbing those rocks, the heat, and the other activities for the rest of the day did me in. I was hurting bad in the knees and worn out by the time we got done with our family activities Saturday night.

Here is a pic of the fish caught yesterday by the group there.

Attached Files:

7. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Nice bunch of fish. As I like to say every day spent fishing with good friends or family is a very good day.

8. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    :roll_eyes: Kev+wife and cntry boy I enjoyed the company @ LD #5,it was nice to visit and was pleased that the skips was bitting for Kev or should I say the misses skip (wife):wink: was going to rib you Kev about you bringing your wife so she could catch all the skips for you:smile2: but my youngun showed up and out fished me skips and cats:angry: cntry boy Glad you had a good time catching a few good cats and thanks for the warms.By the way Kev good thing you came when you did the next afternoon the youngun and a friend went back to the dam and skips were not bitting but they cought a 3lb blue. both of those fish were cought right were you were fishing exact spot :sad2: Thanks for a fun day brothers and sis.
    Tall your not out of skip as long as I have some just give me a call if you need some to fish with while your off and we also need to set a time to go back fishing again:cool2:

9. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    looks like yall did some good on the fishing , again i wish i was there with yall . shoot Ray im ready to go every day , and thanks friend for the skips.

10. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Tall- we missed ya! Last night sure would have been a great night for some night fishing! Give me a hollar! Ready to go everyday here too!