Dale and Derek Catchin' Cats & Smallmouth

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by rsimms, May 5, 2008.

1. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I made a midday foray Sunday onto the beautiful Tennessee River today with Dale Deason and his nephew Derek. We started out trying to fool a few cats, and we fooled 'em pretty darn good. Derek and Dale both boated some quality blues and channels, and Derek just about got his behind kicked by a whopper drum.... all drifting cut threadfin shad. Derek had never seen a drum. "I hate to say it but that's about the ugliest fish I've ever laid eyes," exclaimed Derek. He said it with a smile on his face however. After stickin' a few cats they wanted to see if we could find a bass. We didn't have a lot of time, it was high Noon and the bite was slow. They were ready to head back up after cats when I said, "I'd really like to try one more spot." They were game and it paid off when Dale hung a quality brown fish. And again, it just about kicked his behind. About the fifth time it doubled his rod down and started takin' drag, Dale looked up at me and said, "Good grief, now I see why people like to catch these things!" I just smiled the smile of a happy guide. They only fished about two-and-a-half hours... but it was amazingly productive for a midday high sky. After they left I played around with a few more big cats including one that was pushing 20. And by the way, the bull bream are out in force. Life is good and gettin' better every day!http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good pics. I love catchin those brownies. Do they cross with Kentucky's there? We call em mean mouth here, and brother can they put a stretchin on some line.

3. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee

We have LOTS of spots... and some people say they catch a "meanmouth" every now and then. I can't say I've ever laid eyes on one myself however. At least not one I was convinced was a hybrid. I'm really not sure you could ever say for sure without some sophisticated DNA analysis.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Those are some nice photos, it looks like good times were had out on the water :big_smile:
    Thanks for sharing them with us all.
    :0a31:

:0a23:

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mean mouth and smallies often look alike. A mean mouth has a tongue patch like a spot, where a smallmouth doesn't.

6. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Very nice fish. Looks like it was a good time!!