Daiwa Spinning Reel Spools

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Alex J, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Alex J

Alex J Guest

I've got a Daiwa Emcast Plus 5000 reel and I think one of my boys wound it up and a bunch of line got wound underneath the spool and damaged that little piece of metal and spring that's part of the spool. Do they sell those two parts separately or do I really have to buy an entire new spool? :crazy: They don't appear to be on the schematic unless I'm just not seeing them.

BTW, anyone know what they're for? If broken would they cause the spool to spin while winding, thus not allowing you to actually wind any line onto the spool? That's what I discovered my reel was doing AFTER we drove over an hour to get to the beach. Lesson learnt. :tounge_out: Luckily I had my bass outfit, with which I ended up foul hooking a loggerhead, which I eventually landed and safely removed the hook from and let go after letting the kids enjoy her for a minute or two while she rested for a bit. Really beautiful and gentle creatures.

2. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio....I have no hands-on, RE: this model...but I located the schematic. Which see: http://tinyurl.com/6qxlyc

Can you post again, using the nomenclature off the drawing? From your describe, it sounds like you got the line under the skirt, and into the clicker on top of the line guard. (reference #'s 96, 97, 98.)

Later.......................KD

3. Alex J

Alex J Guest

Hi, thanks for replying.

I have that schematic, which came with my reel. It's a part of the actual spool itself, that's the only thing it is attached to. The spare spool has the same 2 pieces on it. If anything, the metal piece looks something like #72 but it's on the spool and it's flipped over from the direction the pic shows. Let me see if I can get a picture of it.

4. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hi, Alex.........It sounds like those bits are part of the line out alarm.
    You can always send Daiwa a note, or call them. They hang out in CA, with contact info on their web page.

Normally, if a part is not listed on the schematic, it's not available seperate. Sometimes, a repair facility may have these bits on a dead assembly, that you can cabbage.

Daiwa's web site lists all the USA warranty centers, a good place to try after you chat with HQ.

Many Daiwa reels come with 2 spools, one metal on the reel, one spare graphite in the box. Mayhaps yours did too.

Best, KD