DAIWA SALTIST

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT, Jun 8, 2009.

1. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve been thinking about picking up a third reel for flattin.Got a 7000 biggame and a 7700 already by Abu-Garcia.I,m looking at a Daiwa Saltist in the 30 size.Just wondered if anyone had any feedback on how they were at casting?Looked at the internals already in the cataalogs,all metal.Gotta make my mind up by midnite to take advantage of BPS,s 6 payment option.:wink:

2. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    PatCat50,
    The Saltist is an exceptional reel. As for casting, well many surf/beach fishermen use this reel for some serious long range fishing and do so with out complaint.

Now it's no tournament casting reel... but exceptional for fishing.
    I don't know if you have dial-up or a broadband connection but if you can view this video from youtube I'm sure they will put your mind at ease as to the reels ability to cast. The question is are you up to the reels ability :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn6fQfHuvXc

3. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I have two of those reels. I have the smaller model and the 30. Both reels are nice. If your looking for a great flathead reel check out the Fin-nor reel. Boy you talk about cranking power. I have no complaints. Believe it or not the Fin-nor reel cast well. I can sling a livebait a good distance with it. I have a St. Croix saltwater premier rod with it, 8' model.

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    from what i have seen and read about it Pat i think you'll regret it if you don't get it.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    how does that rod handle those big flatheads Robert?

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Always heard good things from Salt/Surf guys. I am pretty sure you wont be disappointed.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Their 6 payment special was over at midnite last night.It took me a couple hours to convince myself I needed another reel.:roll_eyes:I BOUGHT IT around 11:30.:big_smile: REMEMBER-DON,T TELL THE WIFE.:crazy:

8. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    your secrets safe with me Pat. mums the word. :wink:

9. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    :big_smile_2: .....Wont say a word...

10. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I will say this Brain, you wouldn't find a better rod for flatheads. Those St.Croix saltwater rods are the best in my opinion. You'll never break one on a fish. if your fishing big water like, the james, the Tenn river thier great. I haven't caught anything big enough on that rod to be considered a challenge. Those rods are made for big fish. And there not what you would call pole sticks. They have some bend and are built really well. The only problem is the price. Thier expensive. I have a 8' model and plan on getting a 7'6" also.

11. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Hey PatCat50

You'll be sure and let us know when you get that reel and what you think, now won't you? Looking forward to your opinion.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

I,m expecting it mon or tues.It will get put to use this week!:wink:

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Got it.Tried it.Loved it!You got a surfcasting convert on your hands now!:wink:

14. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Glad you love your new reel Pat!

If you think you like it now, just wait until you get it "broken in" and you are completely used to it and comfortable with it. You'll find your self reaching new grounds.

Just remember not to give too much mind to thumbing on your line when retrieving. The line doesn't have to be meticulous, just keep it in even spaces, across the spool and it will come off the reel evenly when you cast.

15. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I'm gona tell on you....LOL

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    you catch anything on that reel yet Pat?

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

NO,Didn,t get the skunk off it yet,the only thing I hate about new gear!I may be a tad bit superstitous on that subject!Got a new hat last month,took me five hours to get the skunk off that thing!LOL.Casts like a dream though.:cool2:

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    sending ya some good mojo for the reel Pat, it ought to get the skunk off of it.