Daiwa Millionare or pfluger trion 66

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by gearhead, Nov 22, 2006.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    These two reels are what im looking at ,never hear anyone talk about them they seem to be better made than the abu's and just a little more pricey but less than the penn and shimano's kind of in the middle.anyone use these two?

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The trion model 66 is almost all I use for catfishing. I have about 20 reels and my 4 pfluegers are the ones I use 90 % of the time.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Which Penn's are you comparing the Millionaire to? I'm not sure that's easy to do. Both are quality reels and the Penn 209, for instance, is pretty inexpensive. I'm not sure that you can compare the Penn's to these reels, they are such different types. I don't know much about the Pflueger, I'm not much of a fan of Shakespeare reels, having had too many problems with the spinning reels. But, I have a 25 year old Millionaire that is a fine casting reel.

4. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I have a Millionaire 5H, I bought in 1978 and it still runs smooth as silk today.I haven't used it in about 15 years, I just take it out of it's leather case and rub it ever once in a while. lol....
    I think they make an excellent reel.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Flintman, I've the exact same reel. In my opinion, its a better casting reel than my Abu's. But, I don't use it often because parts are difficult to find for the 5H.

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    my friend has a millionar made back in the 70's and man that is one smooth casting reel.

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    A lot of guys here use the "high-end" because if you are going to have a large, round baitcast-style reel, a lot of people want the saltwater function out of them. Personally I like Abu's, but many of their reels don't hold up well to salt conditions. Also I agree with gadzooks, while Penn's arent built for the smoothness of the millionaire or Pflueger, they are extremey tough reels (and relatively affordable).

I personally like calcutta's, but it actually saves me money in the sense that I'm using it for 2 different functions.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have both abus, daiwa's, and even a shimano. The daiwas are by far smoother casting and reeling. I dont really know how tough they are since i have only hooked up with really big fish on my abus.

I dont use any pflugers because i can by the bass pro version of them cheaper and made by same folks.

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I use the Pflueger Trion 66 Round baitcasters and love them. Mine are smooth and reliable.

10. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I got the pfluger trion 66 and put 30 lb cajun red and love it.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What Brands,type and test lines do you use and like on them?Thanks,peewee

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    What brands,type and test lines do you use on them?Thanks,peewee

13. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Peewee I usually use 20# Solar Big Game and 50-65# Power Pro on mine.